Author Topic: More on speed  (Read 15253 times)

Offline DC

Re: More on speed
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2017, 12:14:51 pm »
I would love to but i can't find a spot. I was going to use the beach but in the winter the low tides are at night, the sand is never exposed during the day. The rest of the area is bush,at least public land. maybe I'll have to go knocking on farmers doors.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2017, 12:53:54 pm »
that sounds pretty reasonable,, if you can get more with snappier release ok too,,
shooting machine would be nice too, I have always wanted one for testing

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2017, 02:52:25 pm »
I don't think you can calibrate a chrony post-hoc:
As I understand it, it measures the time between an interference in light (caused by the arrow) between the two light sensors, and calculates the speed from that on the basis of the distance between the sensors. Since the distance is fixed into the housing of the Chronograph, there's no way it can be wrong (unless the sensors have shifted).
So your numbers aren't wrong, IMO.

Offline DC

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 10:34:22 am »
I just heard back from Chrony. Apparently the sensors can shift slightly over time. You can send it in for calibration for $50.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 10:48:57 am »
I have a little crossbow pistol which is very reproducible. Maybe an air-gun or some such that you can check on other people's chrono's ?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 10:57:55 am »
  The amount they can shift is very small and wouldn't have much affect on your results. On the type that bend in half and fold you do have to be very careful thay are opened straight and level. This can give a false fast if the have a slight bend in them when opened up.

Offline DC

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2017, 11:09:27 am »
I've asked their Tech if he would take a guess as to how much it would shift. Since most chronos are used for guns the "slightly" may not be an issue at all for me. Mine is a folding one and I have checked a double checked the little tongue and groove for debris etc.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2017, 03:59:31 pm »
Don you will like the Caldwell unit it has a hat trick indicator when you shoot three consecutive arrows at the same speed it will flash and let you know that three arrows where the same speed that's the speed that I log  the L. E. D. Lights help a lot you get much better results with them !   (-P
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline DC

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2017, 04:27:49 pm »
Don you will like the Caldwell unit it has a hat trick indicator when you shoot three consecutive arrows at the same speed it will flash and let you know that three arrows where the same speed that's the speed that I log  the L. E. D. Lights help a lot you get much better results with them !   (-P

That sounds good, I'm getting impatient now. Have you tried painting the first inch or so of the arrow flat black? I found it made a world of difference. Seems strange that this thing will pick up a gray bullet going 3000fps but the flat black tip makes a difference at 170.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2017, 04:55:47 pm »
No I have not tried it ,my field points are dark when using the LED lights I don't seem to have issues unless I'm using real out of spine arrows that flirt accross the sensors Brad Smith gave me a tip a while back about shooting back farther from the sensors seemed to help to ,but nothing seems to cure a bad release !

Offline DC

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2017, 05:38:24 pm »
Yes, I have found that a stiffer arrow will sometimes get better results.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2017, 11:49:21 am »
Don,
Is that Caldwell the "Ballistic Precision Chrono, #IK-232020(US #)?.  I have a store within driving distance, so my pick it up there.  Maybe putting cart before the horse, but I also need to check some loads for my wife's new rifle.  Thanks,
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2017, 12:38:40 pm »
I can't find a part number on my order but it looks like they only make one. There is the chrono by itself and a chrono with a kit. The kit includes a tripod and LED light kit so you can use it indoors. $100 extra for the kit. A camera tripod will work.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2017, 12:57:24 pm »
You also get a case that fits every thing I got my kit on Amazon a while back for $129.00

Offline gfugal

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2017, 01:33:17 pm »
lighter pound bows may tend to make faster shooters probably because it's easier to make a bow without set if it's lighter. The material is under less stress while the design doesn't change that much, and you have more room to work on perfecting the tiller.

For speed and target shooting, this advantage may be good.

But if your hunting or flight shooting, then the light arrow may have less kinetic energy.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.