Author Topic: Misleading braced profile  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Badger

Re: Misleading braced profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 07:23:23 am »
    If the top limb was really weak the arrow would be dropping down lower at full draw, its not doing that.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 07:43:31 am »
Bows like this are perfect examples of why we should set our tillering trees up to reveal balance relative to our fulcrums. Imo, balance is better found earlier and more precisely, than gauged afterwards by feel. Guys wonder why the tiller shifts in their new, 'perfectly tillered' bows after they shoot them for a while. Dynamic balance should be found early in every bow, not just those with noticeable differences in their limb shapes. That way, the first time, every time, every new bow you 'feel' in your hand, feels balanced, because it was made that way.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 07:47:41 am »
I thought about mentioning that too, Steve, but didn't because we don't know exactly where he placed the arrow on the string before he drew it. If he happened to nock it high? Then maybe it did drop down some. But if that was the case, the bottom limb would be tipping back toward him as well... which it doesn't appear to be.

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 07:52:24 am »
I thought about mentioning that too, Steve, but didn't because we don't know exactly where he placed the arrow on the string before he drew it. If he happened to nock it high? Then maybe it did drop down some. But if that was the case, the bottom limb would be tipping back toward him as well... which it doesn't appear to be.

Yea, I though about that when I posted, I did make a slight assumption that he was knocking level.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 07:57:31 am »
I have faced this situation many a time and most of the time my tillering eye was deceived.
True full draw is what counts...most of the time
I think the braced profile should be better in this case.
Tiller looks very good. But I might be inclined to scrape that top limb to even out the tiller. The top limb seems stronger.
Leave it braced, take a few scrapes, exercise at short pulls, check braced appearance, and check tiller.
Try to sense if the pressure is even on the handles as you draw.
It  is always a judgement call. Your call.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 09:57:52 am »
George, you said, "I think the braced profile should be better in this case."

What do you mean "be better"?

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 10:15:21 am »
Now that I've read a few comments and gone back and looked at the unbraced picture I'm a little unsure. I can see what Goat is saying but the bottom limb still looks stiff, just not as much.

Offline aaron

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 10:26:58 am »
what I do with bows like this is to draw a series of straight lines on the sides of the bow. when the bow is bent, these straight lines can be directly measured with a sort of  "tillering gizmo".
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 11:26:36 am »
what I do,,, is shoot it,, if its perfect arrow flight,,and the bow is not taking any more set,, or is stable ,, no hand shock,, then is more tiller necessary and why,, ??? if the bow is not taking set,, then to " Even" the stres would not be necessary,, now that being said, I have treid to make great" better" before as well,,,

ok I will add if I shoot it through the chrono,, and its a dog,, then I will re tiller no matter what it looks like,, or how good the arrow flight,,

Offline ohma2

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 12:18:01 pm »
Well stated brad.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 02:18:18 pm »
DWS,

The limb on the left appears stiff in the braced photo and, I assume that's the upper limb, and it appears a bit stiff.

I would attempt to bring the left limb in the  braced photo to be slightly weaker.

It may not become picture perfect and I understand that at times the braced does not tell the whole story but it can be a bit better appearing.

Again I know that braced does not often equal the whole story. For example, if the limbs are twisted but that is another situation.

Often times, making a self bow is a balancing act.

Anyway, what do I know if everyone is happy and it shoots well, it will do.

What do I know.

Jawge
Set Happens!

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 02:31:18 pm »
George, I think the upper limb is on the right. I could be wrong, but I think that dot to the right of the handle may be the strike plate, and that seems to be the way he's holding it in the full draw pic?

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 02:40:50 pm »
DWS, I think you may be  right. I stand corrected. It's fine. Apologies tendered.
Jawge
Set Happens!

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 03:09:13 pm »
None needed, pal. It's all good. We'll figure this stuff out together.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 04:02:33 pm »
Jawge,, I see your point,, in every bow, I think the tiller could  be a  bit better,,,sometimes I get a bit lazy (-S