Author Topic: The Orbital and other Coon Tales  (Read 7127 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: The Orbital and other Coon Tales
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 02:55:07 pm »
Don, just a short little story, In our part of Penna. we don't have many Porky's so at this time our dogs have no experience with them. We decided to go a little further east and south an do some mountain coon hunting, Ole Sage was pretty young and ran into his first Porky and just curiously sniffed it, and got snout full of quills. It took 4 grown men to hold him down and we removed them with the leatherman, Luckly no quills inside of mouth a throat dewflaps. Now Ole Sage didn't like being held down ever since he was a pup and he sure wasn't to happy about it with us pulling quills, When we let that ungrateful 78# red dog up he did just what he was supposed to and treed all 4 of us in the back of the pickup bed, I thought for sure someone was going to get bit :o :o ;D. He finally lit out and we started working on a little gyp dog we had, she just layed there like she was drugged eyes all funny looking and dazed, course she bit on the porky so we had a lot of quills inside her mouth. Put a stick in her mouth but she didn't hardly move and just let us pull every one, Just seemed drugged. One of the last times we went in the mountains to hunt coon, Lot more coon at home and no Porky's. Porky's are just plain bad for dogs and men. Bob

Offline Zuma

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 07:49:32 pm »
Ed thanks for checkin in. Don't hesitate post one if you please .
 :)
Bob, for some reason I thought it was mountainous where you live.
Are you considered more Ohio Valley than the Endless Mts.
As I recall our dogs behaved very well with the quill removal although
we pulled infected stubs for weeks. I am still floored by their almost
non concern. I bet they would have went and found a track even if we
neglected to pull any quills at all. Thanks for the cool Porky tale.
At least they don't stink to bad. ;D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 09:57:53 pm »
Well so much for moss. We were dumb struck and getting drenched. For better or worse we decided to try a new plan. One of us would walk in a straight line away from the other, The one left behind would shine his light at the other. We left the dog off leash thinking maybe they had sneakily twisted us back to the water hole in search of a second coon. With yelling back and forth, the lead guy would get his beam to line up with the man behind's beam.  Of course a side step was required quite often to get the light beam past a wide close tree. We thought we were doing good as we leapfrogged each other down these beams of light streaked with faster falling rain drops. We would make about 60-80 yards between each leapfrog if we were lucky. Something I learned later on is, that what seems like a long way in the dark, is actually way, way shorter in the light of day. We had decided that if the dogs struck another trail we would continue to the truck and get our bearings.Then we would drive to where we could listen for treed dogs. At least a chance to warm up a bit. I think it took us close to an hour to circle back to the spring hole using the moss method and leashed dogs (mutts). With the flashlight method you can cut that time in half. And during that half hour is enough time for a pack of mutts to strike another trail. Well this was groundhog NIGHT for sure. We stayed just inside the woods around the meadow slumped down on a fallen tree without saying a word.
To be continued--
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 12:22:53 am »
Don really enjoying your adventure and waiting for the rest of story, You have a great way with words.
  I live in the chimney part of Penna. 15 miles or so from the Lake Erie, it is mostly rolling hills and quite a bit of Agriculture land, Lots of water small lakes swamps and streams, I have to travel about 40 miles east to get into the Alleghany mts. I am in the French creek valley and we drain into the Ohio valley.  I can be in either Ohio or New York in 20 minutes driving. Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 06:13:47 am »
Your a good story teller Don. It is amazing how different everything is in the dark. I wonder how close you were to your truck while you were circling back to the pond.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 06:15:41 am »
Really enjoying reading this on a rainy day in Tennessee. Thanks for sharing. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Zuma

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 10:46:18 am »
Thanks for describing your habitat. Sounds nice, like great coon and fishing country.
 :-D :G (B) but also (W (W (S)
BJ I think I purposely left that part out. ??? No wonder you make a good trapper. You caught me. )P(

Very close lol  We figured around a 100 yds. :'(

Pappy, you are welcome I enjoy this site and all you folks as well. :) :) ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 04:31:37 pm by Zuma »

Offline Zuma

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 11:01:38 am »
continue

We tried to smoke a couple coffin nails but every thing was to soaked. Pretty soon Bullet hit wood with his Boaw. boaw, boaw then Hush and the choir. As down as we were, the sound brought us back to the living and we were off but still speechless.
Jeff said as we traveled, " I hope that's a garbage can coon they put up"  wishing it was in some ones back yard. It wasn't but it was two nice coons sitting pretty in an leafless oak. We leashed all but Bullet the best kill dog. All went well with Jeff and a pair of Remington long rifle hollow points. We stuffed a coon each in our knapsacks and started off aimlessly, dogs unleashed, tired and hoping to stave off the hypothermia.
With our best guess it would be three to four hours before daylight. Jeff and I knew a little about hypothermia
and frost bite. When we were in high school we hitch hiked home from a high School dance. We caught a ride for the first six miles and were left off around midnight three miles from home. We were dressed in chino pants loafers and a cheap jacket, nothing designed for rugged weather. No scarf hat or ear muffs. The news broadcast of the car we just got out of said it was minus five degrees. Being jocks on the wrestling team
we thought we could run home if we had to. Well after the first and only car to come by and not stop. we decided to try running just to warm up. We were freezing and the temperature was dropping fast.Much worse than our present situation but similar. The running just caused ice goatees to form on our faces. After two miles I was froze numb and laid down in a roadside snow bank telling Jeff to not bother with me.
 " Just keep going",I have no feeling, I don't hurt or anything. Maybe you can get help and come back.
 Jeff wouldn't leave. He kicked me in the foot." Go," I said. He kicked me in the thigh. I was up on my feet and hustling down the road with Jeff hands in pockets kicking at me from behind.  Not five minuets later a neighbor stopped for us. He took us to the local bar and grill where we had our first Toddy. The temp outside was now twenty below. Our present temp was hovering around freezing. Out in the near distance appeared a huge shape that looked like a  whale. Jeff said "let's check that out". It was like a mini cliff, five to seven feet high and maybe fifty feet long, There was a void at the bottom about seventeen inches deep by twenty four inches high.A mini cliff with a mini rock shelter and the leaves at the bottom were dry
 We piled the leaves from each end in towards the center forming a makeshift mattress. Tried to light a fire but failed. We tossed in our knapsacks for pillows and crawled in. We were a little put off at first ,when the pooches tried squeezing in on top between and around us. We soon found their warmth a good thing and dozed off now and then. Through a veiled haze I thought I heard Jeff say "there is something crawling in my hat". I thought for a moment, jumped up and said "mine too". we were both up hatless and scratching and
swatting at our heads. I grabbed a light and one of Jeff's flailing hands and said " hold it I want to look".
Right there were at least three fleas flicking around in Jeff's hair. Those damn pooches had turned into mutts again. It's fleas Jeff and a lot of them, damn mutts. I guess they need another dip. Us too!  There was a faint hazy glow of light on the tree studded horizon. The center of our orbital had come to save us. East was a lucky direction for us this morning. The sun took us to a lake side camp closed for the winter. The drive into the camp took us to the road the truck was parked on. Before loading the dogs I turned each over on their back and checked between their rear legs. No flees on our pooches. Damn coons.
The end

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 02:40:56 pm »
Well written Zuma.Those all nighters are tough on the day job and even if they are'nt all nighters too.Good thing is dogs are home with coons in the bag and so were you and your friends.A successful hunt.I bet it was time for breakfast heh???Thanks for sharing.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 02:52:33 pm »
The sun sure looks good on those early late night hunts. (-S

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 01:33:19 pm »
Coon hunting has it's physical aspects to humans which can turn a lot of people off from the sport.The darkness/bugs/mud/heat and cold on top of requiring to be in physical shape overwhelm some to the point that it is'nt worth it to them.
Then it's really all about the work that these dogs do that gets people back to it.It's all about the dog really and the partnership one gets with them.The serenity of quiet with the only sound being your hound trailing up and treeing a coon on a black starry night.
The degree of desire a dog shows stands out in your mind and what they can do.To get away once from the normal routine what a dog does treeing a coon or tree game,or the outstanding things they do for you to make you proud.Other things happen too that you remember.
During my quest for a good bloodline of hound I tried many different strains and breeds over a period of close to 10 years give or take.Mostly as pups so that they were trained exactly the way I wanted.I bought a dog once already trained,but a nice little dog.A little female but older from a big game hunter in northern Minnesota.Drove up.Seen her go and brought her home.She was 4 years old if I recall.The breeder liked bear hunting mostly but used his same dogs on practically all tree game including coon and cats too.His requirements were always for a lot of drive in his hounds as mine were also.Gameness was also a very high requirement.Go deep/no come back/loud fast track and staunch stay put tree dogs.
One episode one night with this little female made me shake my head.I had just got done letting her tree a coon along a river by me.Drove around to another drop and turned her loose again.I was still getting to know her some.Which can take months in many different situations that you put them in to know them all besides the way they track and tree.She went in fairly deep around 1/2 mile struck and within 5 minutes caught it.Since I did'nt hear any coon squall at all I knew it more than likely was'nt a coon.Before I even got to her I knew.Here she has a hold of this skunk by the back end.This skunk pisses right down her throat.I get a snap on her collar and make her let go.Gave her some stern language with a little tap here and there and walked her back to the truck.Every now and then she's hacking and almost throwing up which I could easily understand just having skunk piss down her throat.
I don't like to end my hunts on a bad note although every great once in a while it can happen but rare.I drive around again to another spot.Turn her loose again.She goes in deeper this time.Strikes and I can hear it's a good coon track.Within 15 to 20 minutes she trees.She was a nice little sit down tree dog.I give her the coon and we go back to the truck.On the way I think how in the world can a dog who just had skunk piss down her throat be able to smell a coon track.I tell ya.I still gotta laugh about that to this day.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:43:06 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Zuma

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 06:00:19 pm »
The sun sure looks good on those early late night hunts. (-S
LOL any more if I see the sun rise I get on my knees. O:) Even if it's to flesh a hide >:D
Thanks for being around the harth
Zuma

Offline Zuma

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 06:36:16 pm »
Ed, We stopped at the Marshall Creek general store. Had a couple brewskies with omelets.
All's well that ends well. I have  meet mostly bear hunters down here in VA. Some pretty rugged individuals.
A coon hunter or two in 30 years. I think it is why posting with you guys has been so cool.
Common interest helps when spinnin a coon tale or two. Yep you could do a river float at night and
pop coons out of the trees they take into but that's just killing. As you say, with out a doubt it is all
about the  hounds, pooches, and yep the mutts. LOL I have had pups and vets tear a skunk to bits
but didn't need mouth wash. Mutts) lol. Off season night hunts really fine tune you to the bark/ howl.
You don't want to call first strike and get a minus if you are not positive it is your hound.
Your coon tale shows your love for the dogs. Thanks for sharing, )P(
Zuma

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 07:11:22 pm »
My son's dog Sage had tons of Nite Hunt trophy and titles that said that he was a straight dog no trash, he knew the game just fine. He also was a professional skunk killing machine, He would not dare open up on one but if things seemed a little to quiet just listen real hard and you could hear bones being crushed way  down in the corner of the hay field. Then he would check in and make sure he rubbed up against your carhartts, Just as proud as could be, never got any skunk piss in his eyes and like Ed said he would go off and run and tree one right now. He was a coon dog deluxe but just couldn't pass up a an easy skunk kill.  :o ;D Bob

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 10:14:35 pm »
Good enterteinment.

WA