Author Topic: Which bow for a giant?  (Read 1520 times)

Offline looper

Which bow for a giant?
« on: December 18, 2017, 06:57:38 pm »
I'm having a discussion with a fellow that is interested in trying traditional archery. The challenge is that this guy is 6'8" and has a wingspan of 92" from fingertip to fingertip! He hasn't been able to have his draw length accurately measured, but I figure if he uses a similar form to mine, he'll be pulling around 35-36". I'm thinking that a long English Warbow, with him anchoring at the corner of his mouth, might just be the ticket. The question is, how long would the bow need to be?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Which bow for a giant?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 07:56:10 pm »
That sounds like the logical style of bow to me looper but I have zero experience making one. I'm kinda thinking you might get more replies to your questions if you posted in the bow section. Maybe you could look in the war bow section and see if you can find a 35" draw bow and see what length it is. Your next question is going to be where to find 37" arrows.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 07:58:30 pm »
An ELB with full circle tiller of at least 72" long.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 08:02:27 pm »
Pretty sure wizardgoat made on that drew 34" and I don't think it was incredibly long. like 73-74" or so, pacific yew. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 10:00:46 pm »
Might try getting him to hold a bow and draw a 48" dowel rod to a corner of the mouth anchor.  Some archery shops are set up to measure extra long draw length.  Might have to cut him extra long shoots to make arrows, as well as a very long stave!   At that size, most of the game would think he is another tree (SH) >:D!  Please post the draw length when you get a good read!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry