Author Topic: Elm Recurve  (Read 7674 times)

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
Re: Elm Recurve
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 07:17:59 pm »
Nice looking bow

Offline barebo

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 04:45:31 am »
Once again, you've set the bench mark for an all wood recurve. I'd like to watch you tiller a bow to hopefully learn how to achieve that final draw that seems like mirror images on all of your recurves. Some say nice, plain recurve, but to my eyes those bows are the pinnacle of the bowyers art.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 06:05:33 am »
Very nice work Marc

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 06:25:52 am »
Thanks guys. 

I wish I could find some top quality Elm again.  This wood is really good but there's a level of Elm above this that is outstanding when heat-treated
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 06:35:15 am »
Thanks guys. 

I wish I could find some top quality Elm again.  This wood is really good but there's a level of Elm above this that is outstanding when heat-treated

Mark, I don't know if Chinese elm grows in your parts or not. It is very common in So Cal but I seldom can get a hold on any that is small enough for me to handle. Excellent bow wood and very consistent. The city offered me about 7 pipe straight trunks about 8 feet long last year but they weighed over 1,000# each and I couldn't process them. Almost impossible to split. I won't fool with anything over about 10". It cares less about grain violations. One time I sawed out a cupid style recurve just for fun with massive violations and I still have that bow shooting.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2017, 06:55:02 am »
Very pretty bend Marc.  I swear one of these days I'm going to give your style of arrow shelf/pass a go.  Next bow...
1’—>1’

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2017, 08:23:44 am »
Thanks guys. 

Very nice elm recurve Marc.To me that elm does have a sweet drawing type feel.Good for my aggravated rotater cuff tendon....lol.I personally think as known by many who like elm that there is just so many kinds.Others on here really like the stuff too.The best I have worked on with regularity was winged elm out of south carolina but I suspect florida would have as good of quality.Got some now out of southern arkansas that is pretty decent but not like previous states stated.The red elm locally here is farther down the scale yet though.Hav'nt tried the local chinese or american type yet which most times does'nt have the light brown heartwood that red elm does.In fact I'd rather make bows out of hackberry than red elm.
Main difference in quality is it's density to me.Just an observation.It all seems to take heat treating really well with the denser holding heated profiles better than the lighter density and can be made with narrower limbs.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2017, 09:13:37 am »
  I agree with you Ed, I don't consider red elm to be a true bow wood. Chinese elm I use the same dimensions that I use with osage. It seems to be the most consistently dense of all the elms I have worked with.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2017, 11:23:57 am »
Real nice looking bow, Marc!  Your indoor range seems a bit (30")short, though >:D!   Bow shoots good, in any case.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline k-hat

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2017, 07:19:36 am »
That's a classic "Marc" elm bow, love seeing your bows every time.  Elm is certainly my favorite, and I need to find myself some more high quality stuff as well.

Also, thanks for sharing that you still break bows now an again,  makes me feel like less of a loser  ;D

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2017, 02:48:18 pm »
Real nice looking bow, Marc!  Your indoor range seems a bit (30")short, though >:D!   Bow shoots good, in any case.
Hawkdancer

Can't miss at that distance  ;D

Not likely Chinese Elm grows up here Steve, too far north

Density has no value if the wood chrysals and I have seen dense Elm chrysal.  I value elasticity over everything else
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2017, 10:27:50 pm »
  I agree with you Ed, I don't consider red elm to be a true bow wood. Chinese elm I use the same dimensions that I use with osage. It seems to be the most consistently dense of all the elms I have worked with.
I'll have to try that chinese or possibly american elm here then for self bows.I know there's fellas here who use the red elm as cores on FG bows without any failures.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 10:51:52 pm »
I like this back to basics style.

Chinese Elm would probably grow fine up there. It would need to be planted first though.

Offline Badger

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2017, 11:37:33 pm »
I'll have to try that chinese or possibly american elm here then for self bows.I know there's fellas here who use the red elm as cores on FG bows without any failures.

Ed, it is a great core wood because it is light, you can use any wood for a core because it doesn't do anything. Just a spacer.

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2017, 06:19:15 am »
Hi Marc,

I like that bow a lot, what a beautiful tiller you have on it as well!

To Badger in regards to the splitting of Elm, why don't you use a chainsaw instead? I never split my HHB either because it doesn't seem to work for me. I use a chainsaw and then when I quartered it use the band saw.

Christmas Greetings,

Phil