Author Topic: HHB Double Void Experimental Bow (3/4 finished)  (Read 8922 times)

Offline Badger

Re: HHB Double Void Experimental Bow (3/4 finished)
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2018, 11:59:53 pm »
  1" total set is not bad at all. I think you did great.

Offline barebo

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2018, 04:44:34 am »
Very much enjoyed watching this bow coming around - unique design really peaks the interest! Glad to see it casting arrows - hope it ends up where you're hoping for at your draw length.
Just one cool bow!

Offline willie

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2018, 02:21:03 pm »
jimdavis
But I'm not convinced that energy is more efficiently stored there than in a conventional geometry. If it takes 25 pounds to move the limb tip 15 inches, 25 pounds is all you've got whether you have a flat plain limb or a concave limb or a limb with a void in it.
and from your more recent post, you seem more sure than ever. Could you offer any support to your your opinion?
It seems to me that part of what is being investigated is how to do more with less, ie. make a limb that draws the same lbs with less mass? looking for increase in efficiency?

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2018, 03:07:17 pm »
@willie,

Other than having this visual image in my head for a while of how this bow could look, I think you are right in what my goal ultimately is with this bow. I wanted to make a less stacking bow that is comfortable to shoot, with less mass while maintaining or improving performance. I still have to take some additional draw weight off the bow to make a determination whether this is a better shooting bow when compared to my last bow (the Haida Gwaii style belly ridge bow). My first goal was to make this bow so it actually won't break when shooting it. So far I have at least achieved that part.

So keep tuned.... the jury is still out!

Offline willie

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2018, 03:59:25 pm »
I wanted to make a less stacking bow that is comfortable to shoot,

Yes, and that too. Easier on the shooter and easier on the arrow.

I guess there is more to efficiency than how much can be stored in a limb. 

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2018, 11:24:31 am »
It would be interesting to compare with a bow same wood same length same drawweight with flat or lenticular cross section.

Thank you for showing the experiments.
(@Philipp: the link you sent me is not working anymore  :()
Simon
Bavaria, Germany