Author Topic: Maple backed Buckthorn recurve  (Read 10224 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Maple backed Buckthorn recurve
« on: January 02, 2018, 12:08:35 pm »
I started this bow last Summer then put it aside to focus on other things till a couple weeks ago when I pulled it off the shelf and started tillering it  :BB.  I'm not terribly fond of Buckthorn for self-bows, I've had a few fail, but it is something else when backed.  I started out with billets and steam bent the recurves then used dry heat to reflex the limbs, didn't heat-treat though.  I glued the billets together and then glued in 5" of reflex into the bow of which it kept 3".  The end result is impressive and string tension is quite high.  The limbs are just over 1 1/4" tapering to 3/8" tips and have a shallow D section.  The bow is 65" long, I could have made it shorter, and it pulls 53# @ 28".  I shot it several times in my shop using 520 grain arrows and it is very fast  (SH), probably one of the fastest bows I've ever made. I was going to chrono it but the lighting is not the best, although I may try and set some lighting up later on.  Very tricky shooting it indoors as it seems to want to drive the arrows through whatever I put in front of it and I can't afford holes in my door, not with -30 degree temps outside  (S).  Here's some pics

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Maple backed Buckthorn recurve
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 12:23:50 pm »
It certainly looks ::)  fast :). Well it looks gorgeous too :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 12:45:40 pm »
I love the bend you get Mark, love a maple backer too all in all, I love it😃
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 12:57:09 pm »
Marc, those are just about the sweetest looking profiles I've ever seen. If I was a betting man, I'd say it at least shoots in the high 170s, approaching, if not breaking 180.

Make way for the king of the bend! )P(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 01:32:18 pm »
Welcome to the wonderful world of buckthorn. Id take a stack of it if I could find any. Nice bow, Marc.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 01:55:12 pm »
Beautiful bow,great shape,and awesome tiller...it has it all.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 02:16:24 pm »
That looks great and remarkably clean for Buckthorn.

I've never used a piece yet but I've cut a lot of it  and the wood just looks like good bow wood.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 02:20:16 pm »
That bow looks like a Marc bow... :)  and that's a good thing!  Happy holidays my friend.  I have never even seen a buckthorn bow, not even at MoJam.  (-S
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 02:21:57 pm »
  One of my favorites of yours Mark, that would make a killer flight bow.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 03:19:11 pm »
Thanks guys

The elasticity of Buckthorn is very high.  I would certainly classify it above HHB and it's probably even better than Osage.

Marc, those are just about the sweetest looking profiles I've ever seen. If I was a betting man, I'd say it at least shoots in the high 170s, approaching, if not breaking 180.

I sent a bow of this design to Steve for testing many years ago, it was Ash backed HHB.  He was getting just under 190 fps with it and I'm sure this bow can easily get that

As I said though, I'm no longer interested in making self-bows out of the wood but it would probably be great sinew backed. 

I would love to have a stack of it as well Chris, fortunately I do have enough for at least a dozen bows like this.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline barebo

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 03:38:20 pm »
I can't believe the consistent tiller profiles on your bows regardless of the materials used - I'm humbled every time I see one.
Would buckthorn be growing in central NY state? We have what locals call"thorn apple" that has small orange fruit and nasty 2" thorns.
Another beauty.

Offline barebo

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 03:48:07 pm »
I did some quick research and have seen several of these Buckthorns in our local woods. This will give me incentive to grab my pruning saw and take a hike!
Man, that's a sweet looking bow!

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 04:04:26 pm »
That is another stunner! Glad you post more bows lately because I can't get enough of seeing them.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 04:06:10 pm »
Sorry if I appear to be a bit slow, it's because I am :-) . If I read it right, you pre-formed the reflex and recurve bends in the buckthorn, then glued them together with deflex at the handle then glued in additional reflex when you added the backing?  So was the backing strip all of one piece or also two billets, and (maybe pushing my luck) what is the thickness, mid limb, of the buckthorn and maple? Finally, did you pre bend the recurves in the maple before glue-up?  Really love the bow, will add it to my list of one-days...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:36:42 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 04:56:18 pm »
Great bow, as usual.
Looks very fast, low stack. I would like to shoot a bow like that one day, even better, make one.