Author Topic: How important is a straight bow?  (Read 2615 times)

Offline DC

How important is a straight bow?
« on: January 05, 2018, 11:11:10 am »
I've made many crooked bows and they shoot fine but lately I've been wondering if a straight(side to side) bow might have some advantages? Roller coasters are a no brainer, it's easier to tiller if both limbs are similar shape, but what about side to side? Is it OK to be able to see the string from the back? How far can the string deviate from the bows centre line? I guess the basic question is, are there many record holding crooked flight bows? ;)

Offline RatherBinTheWoods

Re: How important is a straight bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 12:04:20 pm »
I've always worked to the rule that as long as the tips and the middle line up then, within reason, it doesn't really matter too much what they do in between. There will be questions you need to satisfy about other factors affecting the integrity of the wood (knots, grain run off, twist etc) but I've seen some crazy wonky bows that work perfectly well.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 12:07:47 pm »
   I was out at the flat a couple of years ago tillering out a bow just to keep me busy between rounds. I needed to put the bow on a cawl and align the limbs before it was finished, the string was about 2" left of the arrow pass. Just for the heck of it I took a few flight shots in practice. It shot further than I have ever shot a self bow at over 380 yards and it really wasn't even built for flight. Just a very normal slightly reflexed osage bow. When I got home I straightened it out anyway.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 12:17:10 pm »
RBTW-I agree but if I can push a little, what would you define as "within reason"?

Badger-That's interesting. Do you think the bow rotated in your hand to align the string, I'm thinking it must have.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 12:54:49 pm »
RBTW-I agree but if I can push a little, what would you define as "within reason"?

Badger-That's interesting. Do you think the bow rotated in your hand to align the string, I'm thinking it must have.

I am sure it did rotate, I always give a little tug on a bow to align that anyway.  When the bow is unbraced it appears to line up straight, as soon as you brace it the bow goes way out of line. I ended up building up the handle so I automatically grab it the right way to match the string. I think the great distance was because the arrow completely shot clean away from the bow

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 06:32:09 pm »

I am sure it did rotate, I always give a little tug on a bow to align that anyway.  When the bow is unbraced it appears to line up straight, as soon as you brace it the bow goes way out of line. I ended up building up the handle so I automatically grab it the right way to match the string. I think the great distance was because the arrow completely shot clean away from the bow
that's what I was thinking when I read that too badger. The arrow probably didn't even touch the bow at all on release. Interesting... cheers- Brendan

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 06:49:35 pm »
I think there's a limit but making wiggly centershot handled character bows is what proves to FG and compound shooters it is'nt neccessary.Makes em scratch their head.That's the advantage of knowledge one gets of making and shooting your own bows opposed to just buying and shooting bows.More insight into the sport of archery the way I see it,but still does'nt make you a better shot.....lol.
A straight bow has the advantage of being able to get turned end for end and it depends too how much extreme of a design one makes.Cleaner and straighter limbs at shorter lenghts can handle more most times.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed