Author Topic: 65# Black Locust  (Read 4116 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: 65# Black Locust
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 09:55:25 am »
Welcome and glad to see you here. Good looking bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 10:29:59 am »
Great looking bow! I have never worked with Locust, so I would love to know whether it was hard to tiller the bow? Also I am wondering whether it is my imagination or is the top limb shorter than the bottom?

Cheers,

Phil

Offline barebo

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 01:33:28 pm »
I only tried Black Locust once. There were a Lot of very thin growth rings per inch, and I used a standard flatbow design. That bow shot 3 feet left, and I have it propped up in the corner with a message: How NOT to make a bow!!!

You've done very well, and your choice of forums is spot on. I've been on most, and this is the only one now. Expert advice, some constructive criticism, some outstanding bows to aspire to, and overall a great group to share your archery passion with.

I'm only an occasional poster, but frequently look for pointers or solutions to problems. Best site for me!

Offline M2A

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 05:38:55 pm »
Yes Morgan I'm very please with how things turned out. To be honest I never thought of it that way you put it but how true that is.

Philipp, it didn't feel to me like it was hard to tiller this piece. Although it did take many hours with a scraper. I spent a whole day off working on the tiller and using a new made tillering gizmo, I was just having fun and before I knew it I had been in my shop all day  :) A good edge on a scraper seems to work for me, I found that by trying to work too fast with a rasp can cause unwanted tear out in a hurry. The bow limbs and fades are even and I shoot 3 under. It could very well be the angle and/or background. Hard to find a good photographer when its 5 degrees outside. lol

This stave had nice sized growth ring Barebo. The cold has slowed me down a bit but when I get a good release it has lots of zip compaired to the lighter bow I have been shooting. You should maybe try it again someday :)   

Thanks, Mike