Author Topic: Mystery wood from TOJam  (Read 12139 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Mystery wood from TOJam
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 01:30:01 am »
I'm afraid it was sitting in Marie's yard to long even if it was only a few days. It was raining nonstop at the time.  The walnut I got had a lot of fungus under the bark already.  If it is cottonwood it could make good arrows I guess.  It isn't anything like our cottonwood so I don't know.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 01:52:13 am »
The bark is thick, corky and deeply furrowed and the wood is light weight and spongy under tension. I don't know what it is but it doesn't seem promising.
   If I keep discouraging ya'll  you won't want to be bothered building a bow from it and I'll be the winner of the Marie's ash cottonwood bow off. ;D 8)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 09:12:06 am »
That bark does look like cottonwood ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 09:24:26 am »
I think it was some kind of ash,I have a lot of Cotton wood on my place and it don't look like that.
I will tell you one thing it cooks a mean brat.Most of the ones I got were kind of dotty so I cooked
food with them.I have some of the Walnut left and plan to use it for tips and handled.  ;)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 09:24:40 am »
Pat, I'll try to start hacking on mine soon. Maybe we could have a "bow with the most set" contest. I think I'm gonna soak mine in some saltwater for a few days before I start tillering it.  >:D ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 11:41:48 am »
Ya that should do it Hillbilly. ;)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Dingleberry

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 02:09:59 pm »
Pat and others, I haven't messed with mine yet.  Ridgerunner emailed a couple months after we aquired the staves and seemed to think it was box elder tree(ash leaf maple).  I havent the foggiest but trust what you tree experts think. ;D

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 02:18:06 pm »
I don't think it's boxelder-I've cut scads of them down and it don't look the same. It's something that doesn't grow here in western NC.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2008, 03:23:29 pm »
I have just started working on mine.  Hope to make a bow for "Mini".  Quite now.  If this thing has a come apart I don't wont her disappointed.
I stripped the bark off mine the day after I got it home.  The inner bark was 1/2" thick maybe thicker in some places.  The bark was still "green" when it was taken off.  So the log had not been cut for to long of a time. The grain is so crooked on the back of the stave that I have serious doughs as to wheather I can make a bow from it.  However, I popped a belly stave off mine.  Well, two billets anyway. Both broke right off as they were being split off.  These two billets have been spliced together.  I hope to make a bow that is linen backed 5' long and pulls 25pounds @ 24" .  I agree with Pat.  What ever this thing is it don't look to good.

David

David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2008, 03:32:47 pm »
Soaking in salt water.....isnt that pickleing?? ??? Maybe all its good for,and cookin.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 07:55:32 pm »
I took her off of the form after almost a week. I heat treated the belly and clamped her to the form last Sunday. Today she came out of the form with a bit more resistance but still week in the belly. I braced her and pulled to 26" about 6 times then unbraced her to find almost as much set as before. This wouldn't by my "go to" bow wood for sure.
   I would like to challenge all mystery wood recipients to a shoot off at the Tenn Classic. ;) I'm curious to see what everyone comes up with...if anyone else is curious enough to try.  ::)     Pat

ps. server won't let me post pics. :(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2008, 09:37:04 pm »
Dang I wish  I had some of Marie's mystery wood >:(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2008, 09:40:48 pm »
Dont look like Cottonwood to me....and it grows all over Here....and in myYard....I have never seen it with such a pronounced dark heartwood....looks more like some member of the Ash Family..
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2008, 11:08:19 pm »
Pat, I'll try my best to have mine shootable by TOJAM. We'll shoot a round of the course with them or something. At least they shouldn't be hard to brace.  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2008, 11:20:02 pm »
Pat, I know you are not a big fan of the mass weight thing but if you happen to have a scale handy would you mind weighing the piece you are working on? Thanks Steve