Author Topic: handshock and string vibration?  (Read 9670 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: handshock and string vibration?
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2018, 07:06:35 pm »
  Jesse,
              Once you have learned your fulcrum point you can incorporate it to your tree and pull from a predetermined nocking point and come dam close...But I still do the final adjustment based on feel and pics...I shoot 3 under and have a piece of leather that resembles my fingers under my nocking point that  I pull with...If you look carefully you will see the "projected" nocking point attached and marked, the 3 under leather strap I use as my fingers...This is a character stave and has a wiggle at the bottom limb so it appears stiff in the pic near the string...I also think Nocking points should be taken into consideration when tillering, hardly ever talked about...Fulcrum and Nocking points work together and I try to incorporate both simultaneously in my build....
       This is by far from perfect, just an example and my 2 cents...Hoping to help someone with an idea...
                                                                                                                                             Don

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 03:14:22 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline DC

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2018, 07:12:13 pm »
Don, do you clamp your bow to the tree? Any time I try and do the fulcrum and nocking point thing the bow sits at an angle. Way different than what your picture shows.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2018, 07:21:56 pm »
  DC,
           No, but probably should, here is an open pic of my tree with a rounded base for the handle...Usually if I'm close at floor, the pressure will balance...If not, I go back and adjust my brace and try again...If you notice the first set of pics, there is what I call a guard board to keep from slipping off the tree towards me...This set up brings me really close to balanced in the hand...If my bow starts slipp'n I am way out of balance...
                                                                                                                                            Don
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 08:04:21 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Badger

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2018, 08:31:30 pm »
  Nice set up Butch. I use a flexible strap on my ELBs mostly now, it allows them to tilt if they are out of balance without sliding off.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2018, 02:38:36 am »

I have a friend, Richard..."half eye" that doesn't even own a tiller tree or stick...He does all his from floor, then to his knee, then in hand which I think is astonishing and about as real as it gets...I proudly own 4 of his bows and even these shorty's are dead in the hand no vibration...No tree depicts his tiller or balance...

Rich, hope you don't mind me using these pictures Sir...
                                                                                               Don
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 02:50:51 am by burchett.donald »

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2018, 04:34:46 am »
  Here is one more example of fulcrum placement...This was a bend experiment with OS...My fulcrum on the bow is almost 2" below center, see hand placement...I was trying to get the arrow slightly above center of both limbs...I was using split finger because I was building this bow for "half eye"...

Nothing is perfect here, but I want you to see the "differences in bend" from hand to tree as I was weighing the bow...Looks crazy...vibration, hand shock was low on this build for my form...Rich would have to give the final report...

Sorry to keep rambling here, Don

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2018, 07:11:46 am »
Wow! There's some talent on this site.
I think tillering from where you will grip the string is just fine.
I just could never get used to it.
I tiller form the center and then finish it in the hand by using a large mirror, in front of a window at night or digi tillering.
Also, I once tillered a bow made with stone tools by using shadows.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jesse

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2018, 12:30:32 pm »
I shape the handle before tillering. My tree has a rounded profile that fits the grip at the fulcrum point. This one is stiff top limb yet in the picture. Just trying to show the tree setup
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark