Author Topic: Drying Osage  (Read 2281 times)

Offline apg

Drying Osage
« on: February 01, 2018, 10:56:13 am »
Hey all,
I bought a couple of osage from Ebay, and I’ve got them down to floor tiller. The wood has only been treated/dried for about a month. If I was to dry them, would a warm dry room work for a month or so? I’ve got a good space by the heater under my stairs that’s super dry and hot.
I also have this boiler, and can place bows above them to dry there, but I did that with my old bow and over dried it and it exploded..!
Any tips?
Ash

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Drying Osage
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 11:20:16 am »
First thing to do is be sure you have the back well sealed or it will check.  I think I'd place the stave in an area without too much heat to start with, maybe for a week or two then you could move it to a warmer area but not hot. You will need more than a month to dry them to workable stage.
Patience grasshopper!   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline apg

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 12:27:22 pm »
Ahhhh. Good advice. Thank you!!

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 06:57:49 pm »
Pats advice is sound. It takes time. If you try and dry to fa you risk losing all of it. Read up and cu t some more sraves while you wait. >:D
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline apg

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 08:12:43 pm »
Also, I should note, I have shaved the back of the bow back to my desired ring, and worked it to the floor tiller level. That’s okay, right? I’ll seal the ends and the back as suggested and use the not hot room... but I’ve seen people say they do this to lessen drying time.
Ash

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 08:27:29 pm »
About 20 years ago I shellacked the back of a  green stave and put in the corner behind the water heater to speed the drying process up. I checked the stave a week later and the checks went from the back to the belly, you could drop a dime in them.

I have a pinless moisture meter and have found if the woods M/C gets down to 16% I can put the stave in my drying box at 90 degrees and it will be OK provided I have at least 3 thick coats of shellac on the ends and back.

It is always best to not get in a hurry on stave drying.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 09:16:19 pm »
Osage doesn't like fast drying.  You might waste your investment trying to go from living tree to a bow in 2 months.  I don't like to bend green wood.  You can end up causing set that will hurt the performance of your bow.  If you want to experiment with force drying a stave get a piece of hickory.  While your osage is drying you could pick up a couple of red oak boards and work on your tillering skills.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 09:22:57 pm »
You are fine chasing a ring and taking it to floor tiller stage but don't go past that. Give it plenty of time to dry on it's own and you will be pleasantly surprised when the time comes. Get it sealed fast, both ends and the back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC