Author Topic: Spot the animal in this video  (Read 1564 times)

Offline txdm

Spot the animal in this video
« on: February 05, 2018, 10:46:29 am »
It's not too difficult, but sure I wish I could be this stealthy.  (=)

https://vimeo.com/254335397
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:02:07 am by txdm »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Spot the animal in this video
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 05:24:30 pm »
On the far left hand side. Looks like a cat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline txdm

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 06:27:26 pm »
On the far left hand side. Looks like a cat.

Yep. It is the bobcat that I am currently at war with instead of spending time in the woodshop working on bows and arrows.

Here's a followup of it in full view: https://vimeo.com/253354662

We've been fortunate for many years now and our birds are quite used to having full access to the property except the garden. But this season there's this one, and he's gotten three so far, one I recovered before he got to start eating.

He even sneaked past my guard dog to get one, barely escaping with it. I've been sitting with the birds morning and evening every day since, and slowly building up the fences with electric lines and screens.

Unfortunately, they are very determined animals, and I'm afraid this can only end in one of two ways... I run out of chickens, or the menace is eliminated.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 07:40:21 pm »
Those cats are so cool. Try not to eliminate him if you can  :-\
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 10:08:52 pm »
12 ga shotgun with 00 buck shot could take him walking through the weeds.   :-M
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 09:58:32 am »
I tend to come down on the same side as Upstate...I like knowing there are some bobcats around.  On the other hand, we don't have chickens right now!  Either way, you will have improved your security system.

Offline txdm

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 10:12:56 am »
Yep, I really would prefer to not harm the animal, but he's come into my territory and gotten a taste of the menu more than once. My understanding of them is that this wont stop until it becomes too risky or difficult compared to elsewhere, or the food runs out.

I'm fortunate enough to work from home, so I have a timer to get up every 15 min to look around with a 12Ga in hand. This weekend will see some major fence upgrades go into place, turning the easiest access into the hardest.

Eventually, we will need to get the birds confined. We tried tractors a few years back and they didnt work out with our terrain and having a variety of different fowl. Two separate large "runs" for the birds to rotate through is the long-term plan.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 12:46:16 pm »
Don't forget a roof for the runs!  Cats don't mind climbing for their dinner.  If he/she has gotten 3 already, I think you will need to eliminate to problem, and make a quiver.  You may also need to watch out for more intrusions.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline txdm

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 01:15:36 pm »
Definitely planning on roofs. We've had all kinds of animal encounters over the years and the building they sleep in has been a solution for everything that happens at night... it's a small barn/fortress, really. This daytime encounter is new though.

I have sat watch every morning and evening with a camo netting thrown over me, but it hasn't come back since the dog chased it...but I think it will. Only a matter of time.

Honestly if my property was larger, I'd just have let my dog go and chase and tree the thing. She's one of those dogs that seems to know what you want her to do. But after tracking it a few acres I found myself on a stranger's property armed...not a wise idea in these times.

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 02:15:37 pm »
   Really good videos, thanks for sharing them.  Those foxes like chickens too. Coyotes got all mine. Usually there's more than one cat around. What ever you decide to do.....they are beautiful mounted.
   Steve