Author Topic: Restoration for a friend  (Read 5624 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Restoration for a friend
« on: March 03, 2018, 05:30:56 pm »
  Had a friend at work bring me his Grandfather's razor with no handle and asked if I would put a set on it...I went to the internet for some research and found an original picture with the box...
   I used brass pins and phenolic scales to do my best to match...Not much to it, but to him it was a big deal to have it back close to original form...Pinning was tedious because these razor's are brittle...

Picture # 1  Is the original from a web site...
       Picture # 2, 3 and 4 are the final job...

BOKER&CO
    Germany
"Our Own"
hollow ground razor
                                                                                                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Restoration for a friend
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 06:02:15 pm »
Nice restoration Don.  A guy at work asked me to repair a cheap sword handle.  I'd much rather work on something old and well built like that razor.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 06:04:44 pm »
Great job, very well done.  Beautiful piece.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 06:18:31 pm »
  Thanks guys...My buddy was really happy and that made my day...
                                                                                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 08:09:00 pm »
very nice.
I'm working on a restore myself.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 09:36:02 pm »
Thanks Kevin...Be sure and post it up for us...
                                                                      Don

Offline Stoner

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 05:00:03 pm »
Great restoration job. I restored my old barbers razor handles with antler and the other with osage. The UV light would destroy the composite handles, they were old and he would not let them go. Wish I had pictures of them, which he still uses. Maybe when I go back to Michigan this summer I'll get a shave again. John

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 06:39:37 pm »
  Thanks Stoner...Hope when you get back to Michigan you will take some pictures of those handles...Bone can be tricky, especially pinning thin scales, you have to be careful not to swell the pin to much and crack the bone...I hold my arm against my stomach to stabilize my strikes which is just lots of light pecking...The arm against the belly only allows wrist movement because once you tap that bone (A) :o >:(

Don

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:34:46 pm by burchett.donald »