Author Topic: Hatchet Bow contest...  (Read 18717 times)

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Hatchet Bow contest...
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 04:07:20 pm »
I remember that being the interpretation last year, regarding heat.  However, as you are running the show this year I think it falls to you to interpret the rules.  I'm personally for being more liberal, given the low entry number last time.

So, is my Homelite gas-powered hatchet going to pass?

Looking forward to visiting with you and the family Paul.  I need to get busy and create some Mojambrew so we don't go thirsty.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 08:44:32 pm »
Hey Len,
Good to hear from you. Hope you guys are doing OK. Looking forward to some of your tasty Mojam Brew. ;D
As for me "running" the contest, I just feel that I should carry on the simple rules set by the founders from the start. Useing a fire to help build the bow sounds nice and simple but what if a fellow rationalizes that a stove is an "indoor" fire...etc.
Hatchet, string and beeswax are the main materials.
Some hints: A stump can make a useful bench. Sitting on the stave works as a vise if you prop the stave against the stump. A tree branch can help you tiller the stave. Hack out a club from the tree you cut down and also "whittle" a wedge ,or two,for splitting out the stave . The hatchet can be used as a scraper with a bit of practice.
Think working on the ground not at a bench. Don't pick a big tree, a good and straight 3-5 incher might allow you to split it in half which gives you a spare stave. Trust me, a backup is a GOOD idea...
Think Oetzi guys, simple and basic stick and string. You will surprise yourselves and it is a fun challenge.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 10:30:45 pm »
i aint never been any hand with a hatchet. do good to make something that shoots with all the tools i got. good luck.
lets just shoot it

330bull

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 12:55:13 am »
Here's a bow that John Strunk made with a hatchet, a pocket knife, and charcoal for stain.

It's ~70# @ 26" and it SCREAMS a 660 grain arrow downrange.  I'm seriously thinking about taking it caribou hunting this fall.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 01:12:33 am »
wasn't there also a rule that you can use a file to sharpen the hatchet (for safety purposes) but could in no way can it be used on the bow?
45# at 27"

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 01:40:36 am »
thats a fine bow.
lets just shoot it

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 04:15:11 pm »
Beauty of a bow.  Strunk is a fine craftsman.  What kind of wood is that?

I know the premise of the hatchet bow contest, but honestly I would thiank fire should be added to the list because man had fire way back when and if you were thrown into the wilderness with nothing but a hatchet and had to feed your family, first thing you'd want to do would be to make a fire or at least get the makings of one, both for warmth and cooking.  And you could make a fire with flint and your hatchet.  Not that I think that is the only fire source that should be allowed.  In fact, fire is fire.  Just like we don't limit the kind of hatchet.

I do think previous interprettations, had us using only one hatchet and not an array.  Thats why I used a thin-bladed hatchet for my attempt two years ago.  It wasn't optimal for felling, but made the finer work possible.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 04:37:08 pm »
You are right Gopher, a file is allowed to sharpen your hatchet but not for anything else while building the bow.
Lennie you make a darned good point and I agree that fire would be a first priority right up there with shelter in a survival situation....so, if fire is added to the "tools" list will that help with participation?
I think the whole original point of the Hatchet Bow Challenge was to see what you can do with the minimum of available stuff which is why the originators of it made that basic list. It is a quandary for sure but my "gut" says keep it as it was started...it was a "challenge" and not so much a "competition" I think. I wonder if it is too late to change the thread title...?

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 07:07:58 pm »
Its a challenge to keep the bow from exploding.

I'll try and make another one for this year's event.  I might even REALLY get in the spirit and make it in a loin cloth.  I'll be sure and post pics if I get that into it.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 10:04:13 am »
See, That's the enthusiasim we need to see ;D. OK, maybe not the loincloth part, heck, Oetzi was wearing pants, sort of... Ishi was the one in a loincloth.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 12:16:29 pm »
ok so everyone pretty much knows im still quit new to all of this.
but that sounds like a cool challenge. do they have this contest every year? if so do you have to be present or could a person build a hatchet bow and ship it down there and let someone els put it thru all the trials and tribulations( i dont foresee being able to make it to the jam for at least a couple of years)

i will probably try and get a start on a hatchet bow this summer and would be willing to ship it to some trust worthy individual to get it to the jam for next year if thats at all allowable.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2008, 12:18:02 pm »
I have never officially participated in the MoJam hatchet bow contest but my take on it is to keep it simple; a hatchet, some B-50 string material and beeswax(or whatever it was)...plain and simple. Too many seem to want to make it more complicated than it was meant to be.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

330bull

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2008, 01:41:38 pm »
The John Strunk bow is made from...Vine Maple!  In my opinion, for a hunting bow, Vine Maple blows the doors off yew and gives Osage a run for its money!   ;D

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2008, 06:41:24 pm »
Well it is a fine looking bow. It doesn't grow in Kansas Toto so guess we'll have to get by with just the osage... ;)

330bull

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2008, 09:32:27 pm »
Are threatening me with a trade?   >:D

I'll trade Osage for Vine Maple any day of the week!  It grow like weeds out here, and I'm talking by the millions.