Author Topic: Any excel experts?  (Read 6181 times)

Offline DC

Re: Any excel experts?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 08:31:20 pm »
So this could tell you the maximum the pencil should stick out. You could set it like that to start and then scrape away the pencil marks. When the Gizmo stopped marking you are at the max bend?

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 08:32:00 pm »
the program would simply give you a setting for the gizmo as far as how far the pencil would stick out on a 4" gizmo to give a specific arch or radius.

Sounds pretty simple, Steve, if you know what strain you need. Would there be a way to adjust strains for different species wood?

Willie, the most flexable woods are less than 1% difference in total flex that the least flexable bow woods. One number in the middle would get you close enough

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 08:32:51 pm »
So this could tell you the maximum the pencil should stick out. You could set it like that to start and then scrape away the pencil marks. When the Gizmo stopped marking you are at the max bend?

excactly

Offline k-hat

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 08:36:11 pm »
pm sent
Thanks for the project.  good  times 8)

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 08:48:51 pm »
pm sent
Thanks for the project.  good  times 8)
  I emailed the web site, just scroll down for the calculator
+

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 10:45:20 pm »
I'm slightly befogged Steve. It  sounds like you want to know how far you can bend a limb without set. But does that mean if you have a thickness that limits your draw to 20", that's where you stop?

If you mean the info would tell you the limb needs to be thinner to go farther, then you are doing backward exactly what I look for in choosing a thickness that will bend as far as needed without set.  :o
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Julian

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 11:47:59 pm »
I may nerd out on this one and create a calculator with presets that are customizable (eg: draw length and max draw to figure the proportion of draw and the resulting radius, etc) and make it available online for PA folks if that's ok with you.  Might can even bribe my wife to help me set up an excel sheet and make it a 2fer  :P

Sounds like a good project for Python.

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 02:19:46 am »
I'm slightly befogged Steve. It  sounds like you want to know how far you can bend a limb without set. But does that mean if you have a thickness that limits your draw to 20", that's where you stop?

If you mean the info would tell you the limb needs to be thinner to go farther, then you are doing backward exactly what I look for in choosing a thickness that will bend as far as needed without set.  :o

No Jim, there is no relation to what you are talking about. Bows are designed differently. In my case I try to use as little working limb as possible. It would likely tell me I need to use some more limb. If you design a bow wrong in width no tiller tool will help the design, it might tell you you won't make weight but that's not the tools fault.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 02:25:08 am by Badger »

Offline k-hat

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 07:11:51 am »
I may nerd out on this one and create a calculator with presets that are customizable (eg: draw length and max draw to figure the proportion of draw and the resulting radius, etc) and make it available online for PA folks if that's ok with you.  Might can even bribe my wife to help me set up an excel sheet and make it a 2fer  :P

Or ruby ;)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 08:33:21 am »

Or ruby ;)

No matter who does it, it sounds like a great thing to do.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline willie

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 04:08:36 pm »

excactly

EDIT  I am trying to under stand an order of operations for tillering with  the gizmo

so you would input...

1. the gizmo base length
2. a "not to exceed" working strain
2. the  thickness of limb in the area you are tillering

output would give....

a pencil stickout length to use on your gizmo that would not let you tiller beyond the chosen strain?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:59:23 pm by willie »

Offline k-hat

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2018, 02:49:42 pm »
Hey Steve!  Got a working app up and running.  It has presets that are modifiable.  I think I got all the math right on it.  Still need to tweak the ui a little (add some instructions/explanation), but it is functional.

Love to hear any input.  Here's the url:  https://radius-calculator.herokuapp.com/

Offline k-hat

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 02:53:51 pm »
this does assume a 99.5% value for the strain at full draw, proportioned based on the actual (partial) draw (maybe I should rename that field).  I can add an input for that customization as well if necessary.

Offline Badger

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 03:59:01 pm »
  Will look it over right now, cool! That was fast!

Offline Badger

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2018, 04:06:04 pm »
  That is perfect!! Id the 99.5 programmable also? I don't think it makes a lot of difference as most wood is so close it might be best to use as a constant anyway.  I will try this out a bit in the real world and if it seems to work I will get back to you as soon as I can. I love it. We will name it after you. Call it the "Khat"