Author Topic: Birch bark question.  (Read 1464 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Birch bark question.
« on: February 26, 2018, 08:04:52 am »
I have some questions about birch bark backing. I have a birch bark backed Osage that I won in raffle at Marshall made by my friend Greg aka Badly Bent. I really like the look of the birch bark and would like to learn more about harvesting, preparation and application of it. I have some bark that was given to me from a tree someone cut down. I found I could roll bark up very tightly and when I unrolled it separate into very thin layers. One  question is Greg's bow has much darker bark than what I've prepared. It's seems I read once here that the older bark that been out in the elements is better. I've seen it rolled up like scrolls where long ago trees rotted away leaving nothing but the bark. Is this better to use than from a freshly fallen tree? Would it be a darker color. Or is the fresh better and can I stain or die it. Also any tips on applying?
Here's a picture of my Badly Bent bow and some bark I thinned.
Bjrogg
PS Greg if your out there I'd love to find out exactly how you did this I love it. Kinda miss you around here to.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Birch bark question.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 10:38:43 am »
Greg doesn't get on here anymore, BJ. He is coming up for a visit this weekend and I will ask him then. I think Pauly has done a few with bark as well. He is coming up with Greg. Ill ask them bofe how they did it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 10:42:45 am »
Pearl if you could give him my number I'd appreciate it. If he felt like it he could call or text me anytime. Sure hope to see him at Marshall
Bjrogg

Offline ksnow

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 10:50:39 am »
Dang, I'm gonna miss seeing Greg's work.

Kyle

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 10:53:33 am »
I will do that, BJ. He will be at Marshall, bet on it. He still builds bows, but doesn't post anymore.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 10:54:24 am »
Bjorrg, The little bark that I have peeled always seems to be darker on the layer closest to the tree. Any other layers were similar in color to what you have in the pic. Not sure that it's any better or not, just a different color.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 11:11:49 am »
Dang, I'm gonna miss seeing Greg's work.

Kyle

Me to Kyle

I understand Chris. It seems hard to keep up with everything. Look forward to seeing him,  and Nate for sure.

Thanks Dave. I've noticed the same thing you're saying to but nothing is colored the same as the one from Greg. I tried a search and did some reading but haven't found a lot of information. I think I might sneak back to the birch woods on my lunch break. I know I've seen bark just laying on the ground where trees just rotted away. Might see if I can find some and see if there's a difference.
Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 11:19:46 am »
BJ, for a decorative backing the thin stuff works fine and the inside of the bark is darker than the outside.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 11:34:25 am »
Hey guys.   Greg worked  a lot with earth pigments and alcohol.  If I was a betting man I'd say that is what it is. IMO
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 12:10:01 pm »
Pat yes I would only need it for decoration purposes. I'm thinking the thinner the better. Could even have a few holes in it.

Bill I'm thinking your right. It seems to maybe even have red, brown and black streaks and blotches. I really like it and I have way more birch bark than snake skins around here.

Don't know if it's better or worse but I went to woods on lunch break. Found some curled up bark and a down tree stump. I spiral sliced the stump and got a nice long one. If it works I should be able to peel a bunch of layers off this. I'll find out.
Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 01:12:50 pm »
Is that silver or yellow birch. Most birch backings I've seen and used were paper(canoe) birch. I guess any will work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 01:29:21 pm »
Pat I believe it's white paper birch. They don't live very long and die fall over and really rot away fast with the bark left on. Even if you just want to make firewood if you don't split it or remove the Bark it will rot away before it dries enough to burn. This tree was dead years ago and rotted away. Bark isn't quite as bright white but it still looks in good condition.
Bjrogg