Author Topic: Cut in shelf questions.  (Read 15969 times)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Cut in shelf questions.
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2018, 06:23:09 pm »
One thing I was totally unaware of. We have some mind readers on here who can tell me what my opinion is when I have not stated it.
You did see the smiles didn't you/ Sorry if I offended.

Missed them. And they were staring my right in the face. ::) Still too sensitive here. At my age, even an intentional affront shouldn't get my back up. You've nothing to be sorry about. Carry on.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2018, 08:19:24 pm »
In all seriousness I respect the bowyer ability of those that have been on this thread. Every one  of them.  Some are more Traditional primitive and some just like wood bows. I think there is a place for both. When it comes to the limbs all the same principles apply . How much energy can we get out of them. There is common ground every where if we was to look. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Morgan

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2018, 09:19:35 pm »
Wow! I really didn’t mean to bring up such a sensitive subject. Two reasons I want to make a cut in shelf bow. 1. I haven’t done it and want to. Most all of my bows look the same, and I shoot them plenty accurate, but I want to try something new. 2. I like to bowfish. I’d like to make a bow to bowfish with from ipe. I like using modern fg bowfishing arrows. A stiff fiberglass arrow shot off my bows require too much compensation for my liking.
Right, wrong, or indifferent, it’s something I’d like to get under my belt.
Thank you all for your replies, there’s been a lot of helpful info that I was wondering about.

Offline barebo

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2018, 04:53:47 am »
This topic has had some lively and spirited debate - the bottom line is that nobody is right..........or wrong.

I can see the point that a cut in shelf is no doubt  Not "Primitive" if we compare the bows made by several of us, and this forum is "Primitive Archer."

That leaves us to decide where to draw a line that can't ever be defined clearly and will open a new debate which has been beaten to dust over and over again.

If we still wore loin cloths and swung clubs we wouldn't consider a shelf, but having computers in our pockets and band saws has elevated us to a slightly higher level...... maybe?

Good luck on your bow fishing rig Morgan - love to see the set up when you get it done!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 04:57:29 am by barebo »

Offline Louie

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2018, 05:22:16 am »
Are any of the "primitive" bowyers that feel so strongly about a cut in shelf not being "primitive" using a belt sander, bandsaw, compressor, shellac, drilling machine, heat gun, electric stove or any other form of "modern" appliance in their craft?

Would a cut in shelf be considered slightly more primitive if one only used hand tools?

Would a bow without a shelf be considered to be any less primitive if it was constructed using "modern" appliances?

Is 320 grit sandpaper primitive?

One of the greatest paradoxes of your physical senses, is that your eyes actually show you what you believe, not what you see.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2018, 06:59:20 am »
This debate has come up every once in awhile here on PA so it's nothing new

Are any of the "primitive" bowyers that feel so strongly about a cut in shelf not being "primitive" using a belt sander, bandsaw, compressor, shellac, drilling machine, heat gun, electric stove or any other form of "modern" appliance in their craft?

Would a cut in shelf be considered slightly more primitive if one only used hand tools?

Would a bow without a shelf be considered to be any less primitive if it was constructed using "modern" appliances?

Is 320 grit sandpaper primitive?

All of these points have also been put across during these debates so they are nothing new either
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bubby

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2018, 07:36:26 am »
It's all just personal preference, before the magazine changed it under the name it said something like keeping classical archery alive, not primitive, now it says classical weaponry
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2018, 07:44:48 am »
I feel bad for the guy who started this thread. He asked a simple question and gets preached to. There isn't a primitive builder on this site. Just a bunch of wood bow lovers with varying degrees of tool usage.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Louie

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2018, 07:53:38 am »
I feel bad for the guy who started this thread. He asked a simple question and gets preached to. There isn't a primitive builder on this site. Just a bunch of wood bow lovers with varying degrees of tool usage.

+100
One of the greatest paradoxes of your physical senses, is that your eyes actually show you what you believe, not what you see.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2018, 07:58:24 am »

Well I guess the old saying "ask a simple question get a simple answer" just doesn't work here  ;D
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2018, 08:15:32 am »
I don't mind a complex answer to a simple question, but a fella shouldn't feel railroaded for asking it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2018, 08:40:33 am »
I just prefer the feel of the arrow resting on my hand, it just gives me a better feel for being on target. I realize that is totally a mental thing.

No question that shelves are necessary at the very highest levels of accuracy but like many aspects of accuracy very few can shoot the difference.

Even the guys on here touting a shelf are still not pushing that element to the max.  That would involve cut to or even past enter and probably a plunger etc too.  I bet a guy showing up with that in the IBO selfbow class would catch some grief from the basic shelf guys. ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2018, 09:06:16 am »
PatM, no not really. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PatM

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2018, 09:15:57 am »
Which part?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2018, 11:45:29 am »
I can assume he was referring to shelved bows being scoffed at. I have made and sold a few that were strictly IBO tournament bows. They both wanted shelves added and contoured grips. On these bows I used a cork wedge, but in the end, its all the same wrapped with leather.