Author Topic: Best glue for tips?  (Read 6186 times)

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
Best glue for tips?
« on: February 26, 2018, 12:50:15 pm »
 I've found super glue does not always last a long time as far as keeping horn or wood sections added to the tips of the bow. Epoxy usually works and just started using tb3 and so far none have failed. I'm talking about sections glued to the back used to cut knocks into. I've never had a handle splice fail on me, but there is a lot of strain on the tips from the string.  I don't want to worry about a tip shearing off during shooting after 1500 shots or so.
 I want to know what works best for you. Also totally smooth surface or shallow grooves.

Thanks for your help. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Best glue for tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 12:58:19 pm »
I use nothing but Loctite Pro, zero glue failures over 100 plus bows. Its not cheap glue, but very worth it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 01:06:34 pm »
I've used super glue, thin and gel, TBII, TBIII and 2 ton epoxy for tip overlays and haven't had a failure.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 01:22:29 pm »
I use the loctite superglue on all my tips.  I get perfectly smooth and mating surfaces.  I spread some glue on each piece and then put them together.  I wrap them in rubber bands the entire length of the overlay to apply even pressure on it.  No failures for me yet. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 01:23:27 pm »
I like to use a good thick superglue, but have used epoxy as well.
I’ve only ever had one horn overlay fail, from being too thin I think

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 01:30:06 pm »
I use the same as Pearlie and Clint, never had a failure, but if you're not sold on it get some smooth on
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 01:53:48 pm »
Chuck....I've dropped bows from a 10' height off a balcony onto cement/falling 6' off a bow rack onto a tiled cement floor and smacked them into limbs while shooting and hav'nt had a smooth on tip overlay of horn or wood pop off yet,and I shoot my bows a lot with fast flight.I would'nt reccomend the testing procedure though....lol.Roughened up surfaces of at least 60 grit is best for that stuff.Sized well with adequate pressure of a good spring clamp or locking hand clamp,but if buying a can of smooth on just for tip overlays the rest of the can could go bad before it gets all used up.I have had them pop off with super glue though and 2 ton epoxy even more so.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 01:59:37 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 02:03:07 pm »
  I'm with those who mentioned LocTite.  There are several "reinforced" superglues on the market, with ingredients added to increase toughness.  Look for the ENHANCED superglue, not just gel or regular.

LocTite may be the best of them, though recently I have bought a couple bottles of this new (to me) stuff called DAP RapidFuse at Lowe's, and that's been great.

TB II AND III have worked great for me, too, but by that stage I'm usually super eager to get finishing the bow and don't want to wait that long.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 02:17:25 pm by Springbuck »

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 02:17:49 pm »
I use West Sysyems G Flex epoxy.  Used it for years attaching knife handles.  Properly used, with some scoring or texturing of the mating surfaces it does not let go.  When I make an occasional mistake gluing in knife scales, I can eventually fracture the scales off but handle material and epoxy is still attached to the knife and must be ground off.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 02:25:44 pm »
   I don't think tips are under a lot of stress. I often glue on temporary tips for tillering and they often stay on while shooting the bow in. I usually use tightbonb3 but have used anything from gorilla glue to super glue. I have had a couple of tips pop off when dropping a bow on its tip over the years. My permanent tips I use either smooth on or tightbond

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 03:09:12 pm »
G-Flex is outstanding for toughness and shock absorption.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 03:13:35 pm »
Pat, how fast does it dry?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 03:22:02 pm »
It's a typical overnight Epoxy.  Initial cure in 7-10 hours, full cure in 24.  Like most epoxies it can be sped up with heat.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 04:22:57 pm »
I like the speed of CA. I have always been suspicious of it though. The only time I've had it let go is when a bow breaks. Twice I've had an explosive break with yew and both times I guess it shook so hard both tips came off.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 04:36:45 pm »
I definitely have had more problems with wood cracking or chipping up than any glue I have used.