Author Topic: sisters or knot?  (Read 1450 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
sisters or knot?
« on: March 07, 2018, 03:36:01 pm »
So I harvested eight broom billets, these being four 30" lengths  split into pairs.  The billets came from 3 different stems, one side of every sister is knotty, the other not so much, so 4 knotty billets, 4 not quite so knotty billets. Would you choose the best quality billets for a bow and bin the more knotty ones, or pair the sister staves into 4 bows?

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Re: sisters or knot?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 07:41:17 pm »
I'd go with two clean bows. maybe start with the knotty ones and see what they can do. I have a couple of full length broom staves. I should work one too.  What diameter are they? Cheers- Brendan

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 07:42:56 pm »
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm........
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 10:17:22 pm »
What is a broom stave?

Limbit

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 10:34:45 pm »
Scotch Broom (Cytisus scoparius) Morgan. This wood will make a bow and is an invasive plant in many areas. It is more of a shrub than anything, but occasionally you can get a piece usable for a bow....without knots...maybe not. Check the internet about invasive plants in your area. It may be growing around you. If it is, it is good to check around river banks for it. People will love you for killing it. In fact, while you are at it, check all the invasive plants in your area because some of them are great bow woods and people want them gone.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 10:38:35 pm »
Scotch Broom (Cytisus scoparius) Morgan. This wood will make a bow and is an invasive plant in many areas. It is more of a shrub than anything, but occasionally you can get a piece usable for a bow....without knots...maybe not. Check the internet about invasive plants in your area. It may be growing around you. If it is, it is good to check around river banks for it. People will love you for killing it. In fact, while you are at it, check all the invasive plants in your area because some of them are great bow woods and people want them gone.
Good idea. Thanks