Author Topic: 2018 Bow Trade-Completed  (Read 98660 times)

Offline hoosierf

Re: 2018 Bow Trade-Sign Up
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2018, 01:32:28 pm »
Well if starts sprouting buds again I quit!

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2018, 05:49:46 pm »
OK fellows gotta brand new game plan kinda. Ive never chased a ring on Osage before, the only stave bow ive made was hickory. My buddy Pat is gonna send me one though, don't think I can use it in the swap, it will be plan C (already blew up plan A) Plan B is another boo backed lemon wood with an ipe strip and riser.  That's what I made my first r/d from and it came out great, really nice shooter and some beautiful wood to boot. Also I may make it just a reflex bow to keep it simpler, I made one from ipe and boo which also turned out to be a nice shooter. Either way it goes if my victim starves to death it will be due to his lack of hunting skills not from lacking a proper bow. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:28:07 pm by JWMALONE »
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline M2A

« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2018, 07:55:30 am »
Ok folks. I was thinning the thickness of the limbs down last night. On the back side of the indent I had mentioned before I began to see what looked like sap wood being exposed. The was another one of those areas in the handle area so I began to rough out that. What I found out is that the area seems to have very small bark spots, I think they call that a sap check in black cherry where I'm from. Around that the wood looks like sap wood in a "V" shape from back to belly.

If I was making this for myself no biggie. But that voice in my head tells me there is something in that limb that will make it not sound. I maybe wrong but there is lots of time. I have a piece I cut a few months ago. Bark still on it so hard to tell, but I feel its my best piece of locust. Taking my draw knife, axe and some shellac to work today. Will get things worked down some at lunch today and see what it looks like.  I also have that narrow piece for a bendy bow but want to head in this direction because its what has worked for me.

Will post some pictures tonight after work from what I was working on and what I am working. Mike         

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2018, 08:14:56 am »
Its good to have plan A,B and C lined up isn't it. Ya never know what will pop up.

Offline M2A

« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2018, 07:54:27 pm »
So true JW. As promised below are pictures from bow I was working on. 1st is a cross section of what I can see in handle and 2nd is what I can see coming through belly side of limb.   Will try and finish after bow trade is done but don't trust that enough to make for some one else. 

Looking into some other staves and will have a game plane by end of the weekend.

IMG_1611 

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Hw9D2u]
IMG_1612 

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2018, 09:04:48 pm »
The heart wood from Lemon wood.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2018, 07:40:07 am »
Ok guys, I've decided to use an Osage stave. As soon as I get ill start on it. This stave comes from a reputable source.

Offline M2A

« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2018, 07:24:29 am »
Spent some time going through what I have on hand. Did some research, and put a good bit of though in what to do next.

I have a stave from an American Elm sapling. Did not give this species much thought for the trade build because of the wide range of comments I have seen in regards to elm in general. However the more I have been looking into things the more positive I felt about it. I think this is something the guy I'm building for would like so I'm going to run with it.

Sapling was about 2.75" at large end and 2.25" at top, so will have a high crown. Going to have it bend through the handle so maybe I can keep it shorter. Will try and get a picture posted in the next few days. Mike

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2018, 07:46:04 am »
I tillerred my black locust to 45 pounds at 20 inches.  I then gave the stave a good heat treatment and now have it set aside for a bit.  Here are some pictures after the heat treatment.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2018, 07:55:08 am »
I then grabbed a bitternut hickory stave and started on it. 

I took the bark off and roughed it out. I didn't like what I found, bug tracks.  It is very thin ringed wood and I went down 2 rings and it looks like I need to go down 1 more. I may set that aside for another time and grab something else from my pile.  Here is what it looks like after going down 2 rings.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #130 on: April 02, 2018, 07:59:15 am »
That black locust is looking sweet Swamp! Can't wait to see it finished up.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline stickbowbeard

« Reply #131 on: April 02, 2018, 08:12:11 am »
Swampman, That's looking awesome!  I was actually thinking of trying a Cherokee style bow like that myself, and that is inspiring to see. 

Just for an update on my limited progress:

I just received a couple of staves in the mail this weekend!  Both are well seasoned.  One is a yew stave, because my son has been wanting to try and build a yew ELB.  The other is a vine maple stave.  I've been admiring some of the bows people have been turning out with vine maple and have really wanted to give it a try.  I believe this will be my stave for this project.  My interests lately have been in building bendy handle plains style bows, so I've been thinking I would just keep with my momentum for this project, and build one a little bit longer, but still bending through the handle, such as a Cherokee style.  Now I'm just a little concerned that using vine maple for such a bow may be a little inappropriate since I'm sure Cherokees were not getting their hands on vine maple, but maybe something similar.  I also have a friend who has offered to let me use some of his stock of seasoned pecan and elm, so there's a small chance I may go that route.  I may be getting corrective eye surgery this weekend, which will keep me out of the workshop if that happens, but if I can't start shaving some staves this week, I will definitely get to it next week.

Eric

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #132 on: April 02, 2018, 02:46:55 pm »
Swmpman they both look good to me!  There’s bows in those staves for sure. I know what you mean about the bugs though. My failure rate on any bug damaged staves has to at least 50%. Last one was a beautiful thick ringed Osage stave...and pow!  Now when i see bug damage i set em aside till I’m desperate.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #133 on: April 02, 2018, 03:27:57 pm »
Yeah, I will probably eventually put a rawhide backing on that hickory stave but for now I have plenty of other wood that does not have bug damage.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2018, 04:24:50 pm »
I feel like I’ll be getting a late start compared to you guys. But ll probably be starting in te next few weeks. I’ve got about a half dozen to get done first. I’m just waiting for it not to be raining on a day off.
But I’d might as well get my plans going. I have some choices in wood that will determine the style of bow I go with. I have: black locust, shagbark hickory, honey locust, hackberry, Osage, ERC, Black cherry, and walnut. The ERC and cherry staves would be sinew backed to help keep them together. The others would more than likely be self. So anything anyone wants to see? I haven’t used hickory in a while and I have some gnarly but straight staves in it that I may toy with if I get no suggestions.

Kyle