Author Topic: Rope beds anyone???  (Read 4733 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Rope beds anyone???
« on: March 11, 2018, 03:11:55 pm »
Made a pair of these a number of years ago.They break down to parts to be hauled.I used them in my wall tent years ago during froze foot rendezvous's.Now they serve as day beds or guest beds.They measure 7' by 32".2" by 6" and 4" by 4" with 5/16" hemp rope.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Morgan

Re: Rope beds anyone???
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 03:43:21 pm »
That’s the kind of bed I had as a kid. Had some kind of stuffed mattress on it. I remember when I got a “real” bed with boxsprings and mattress, I did not like it. I need to make one of those.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 03:49:00 pm »
Wow....I slept on one of those as a kid at camp we had bunk beds made that way.  Cool memories.....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 04:46:51 pm »
Cool.Yea their as comfortable as ever yet.Made 1 out of 2" by 4" first if I recall and they were'nt sturdy enough so I used 2" by 6"'s then.
Also it does'nt cost all that much to make them either.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 04:54:13 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 04:55:37 pm »
Very cool

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 05:56:29 pm »
ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz :) :)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 07:17:38 pm »
Makes me want to take a nap.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 07:25:23 pm »
I love that kind of homemade stuff. Pretty cool, Ed.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 07:41:23 pm »
My dad used to make rope bottom chairs. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 09:58:32 pm »
You have a cool homestead, Mr Ed.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 10:20:09 pm »
How do they fold up for hauling?  I may have to convert our queen size frame to lessen weight, right now we use plywood and slats to support the air mattress.  How much stretch do you get from the rope?  Neat job!  We tend to forego those cold weather rendezvous', though.  Even with a cheater heater for the one pole!
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 02:09:51 am »
Thanks for posting. I've been wanting to make one of those for My Pyramid one poler. Looks might comfy for a Old Coot like Me  :laugh:. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 02:14:50 am »
Hawkdancer...Your missing out on all the fun not going to froze foot rendezvous's....lol.
Can you see the round dowel end showing on one of the end pieces?There are actually 3 dowels securing that so it does'nt twist any with 1 main dowel showing through the end head and foot ends.The square end pieces going through the end pieces on the other show it too making them square so they cannot twist any.You take your rope loose length wise then tap the head and foot ends off.Your left with the side rails still roped or laced together and 2 end pieces and 1 length wise rope to resew or lace it back together.2 different lengths of rope are used.1 length wise and 1 width wise.Does'nt take that long and packs easily,but your right an army cot type is faster and lighter but not near as stable and solid.I would'nt go past 3' wide for this type of bed unless a light weight sheet of wood were layed on top of the laced rope underneath.Here's the other version of different bed.Excuse all the junk of Robins' stuff.She adopted that as her store room,but will sleep 1 person easily though in there yet.

chamookman....Should work great in your pyramid dwelling having a square base set up.Works fine in my wall tent but not the teepee....lol.I sleep on willow mats and hides in there.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:30:01 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 07:34:08 am »
Love it, got one upstairs in the cabin, if I sleep up there it is the one I go for. Nice build.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 09:54:22 am »
The thing about using natural hemp rope kinda is that hemp will swell or tighten with more moisture.Shrink and get looser when dryer.Nylon won't though.
BowEd
Ed