Author Topic: some projects  (Read 2494 times)

Offline swataramike

some projects
« on: March 09, 2018, 06:03:52 pm »
made a needle from a piece of deer tine and sewed my pig skin leg pad to a piece of sheepskin to help keep flakes out of my shoes it took about 4 hours to sew....then today i spent 3 1/2 hours knapping this dacite blade from a big chunk it turned out ok i gotta get my flaking better but its tough with me only using natural tools for 3 months....made with all direct percussion disc hammerstone, moose billet,and whitetail pressure i will upload the video to my youtube channel but it takes awhile because its high def....thanks

Offline BrewerMo

Re: some projects
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 07:08:41 pm »
Cool work with bone needle and a nice jumbo blade..

Offline UtahChippewa

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 07:09:39 pm »
That’s a killer blade! And that pad is awesome too. Keep up the good work!
Knapping...
If you’re breakin’ You’re makin’
If you’re bleedin’  You’re succeedin’

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 07:31:31 pm »
That blade is a beauty Mike.

WA

Offline swataramike

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 09:02:14 pm »
thanks....it was the largest abo blade i ever made somewhere around 9 inches...i am really not used to making blades this large and had to take a couple breaks in between stages i prob should have put it down for the day after the 3 hour mark i could tell i was slacking towards the end...i was going for a cascade type blade..

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 10:26:04 pm »
Way nice blade !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 06:20:19 am »
 Very nice blade. They get real hard to support for me when they get that long and I'm not even talking ABO. One little mistake and you got two points to work with.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline swataramike

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 08:22:00 am »
yeah i found it to be very tedious.....small isolated platforms and still the flaking was not very nice...i was very cautious with accurate strikes on the isolated plats...oh yeah this was my other project this week a eastern hemlock uprooted during the high winds we had last week and crushed our roof that we just had installed 6 month ago....lol

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 06:22:47 pm »
Nice blade :KN :KN bad tree.  )-w(
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 11:52:34 am »
Real nice blade :-K. I understand hemlock makes good firewood, or something! >:D. Chopping blocks, anvil stands, and such!  Bet the insurance company was glad to hear about that one.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline swataramike

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 12:42:28 pm »
we have a new forced air wood/coal furnace ...its our only heat source i tend to burn mostly oak/popular..we turned this tree into wood chips to put around our veggie garden...haha the insurance company is another story we got a check but lets put it this way they do not like to give up much money...we are hoping what they gave us covers the damages...it is kinda annoying and upseting

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 01:35:17 pm »
Oh man I say annoying and upsetting, I bet that made a big bang.  Was you home when that thing came crashing down?
Northern Ute

Offline swataramike

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 03:05:54 pm »
me my wife and daughter were getting ready to leave and i noticed the ground lifting around the tree ....i told them to get out of the car like right now because the car was right under it....anyway i called the fire company so 1 hour went by and they never showed up ....so    we pretty much stood there and cringed everytime the wind gusted and then bam it fell ...crushed a main roof truss and blew a huge hole through the roof....if we would have not been getting 60 mph sustained winds that day i woulda climbed that sucka and topped it like a boss....but i didnt feel like i wanted to die that day.itand then the fire company showed up like 5 min after it fell...lol....for anybody interested here is the link for the dacite blade on my youtube channel..

https://youtu.be/YgVzC_n2sGs
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 08:28:40 pm by swataramike »