Author Topic: wood billet work  (Read 2513 times)

Offline swataramike

wood billet work
« on: March 18, 2018, 04:03:01 pm »
used an exausted axe handle for a punch...cut a base piece off a fresh cut apple tree and made a baton to strike the punch with....wood pressure..ended up with a decent little side notch from a dacite spall..thanks

Offline swataramike

Re: wood billet work
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 04:03:40 pm »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 05:58:27 pm »
Looks like that worked out nicely.👍👍
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 09:45:45 pm »
I second that. It did work out nicely.

When I do indirect percussion (punching), I raise one thigh off my chair and place the butt end of the indirect tool under the thigh and position it so that it sticks our somewhere between my knees. It is easy to position my point/rock under the tip of the tool with one hand while I hit the tool with a club of some kind using the other hand.

WA

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 10:56:07 pm »
Chip,
That sounds like it might smart if you miss! >:D.  Just trying to visualize that contortion!  Probably simple once you see it done, though!
Mike, Looks good, got crabapple, but a bit. Short on axe handles!  Have to try that when I get to knapping.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline RickB

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 08:55:41 am »
Nice work Mike. I believe most ax handles are made of nice and hard hickory. Rick B

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 10:38:08 am »
Hawk, when I first started ding it this way I got it a little too close to center line, and yes it did talk to me. Now It goes under my thigh about half way out toward my knee. It is the simplest and most convenient way I have found.

WA

Offline paulc

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 12:07:39 pm »
So you mounted something to axe handle to make it punch? I need more details please. Paul

Offline BrewerMo

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 06:16:08 pm »
Playing with wood is fun!!!!😎 That's a great point.👍

Offline swataramike

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 08:09:43 pm »
well i broke a pick axe yesterday...was about to burn the handle in my wood stove then i felt like trying somthing different saw an earlier video marty rueter did with a wood punch all i did was round the one end of the pick axe handle then i took the one end and wedged it into the ground...tried using a moose billet for a striker but was not getting enough force so we just cut some apple trees and i cut the base off and used it as a striking baton..make sense...but as i stated earlier i want to tie it under my leg because the angle felt wrong as in to steep...compared to antler...the platforms are different once again could have ended up with a larger piece to finish but it took me about 10 strikes to figure out the platforms....

Offline swataramike

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 08:13:41 pm »
if anybody checks out my youtube channel i will post a short video this week using the wood punch.....but cant guarantee it will go well because i am new to this method