Author Topic: Looking for a better Rasp  (Read 6751 times)

Offline Morgan

Re: Looking for a better Rasp
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 12:01:18 am »
Now, not all ferriers rasps are created equal. I bought one from a local farm store that felt sharp but I think the tooth angle was wrong or something, as it was horrid at removing wood and plugged up every stroke. Replaced it with a diamond brand and the difference was night and day. The local mill sells some that the brand starts with a B I think but they have three different models, one is very aggressive even for a coarse ferriers rasp, that will be my next rasp.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 09:46:48 am »
Shinto rasp is a too worth owning.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 12:37:55 pm »
What different brands of farriers rasps are out there ?  I'm about due for  a new one!.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 12:58:10 pm »
I bought a box of new old stock Nicholson USA made farriers rasps several years ago.  They are twice as thick as a normal farriers rasp.  I've been using one since then and it is still as sharp as the first time I used it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gfugal

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 01:58:38 pm »
I too wish I had a more aggressive rasp. Mine is pretty aggressive comparatively, but I doubt there is anything that is as aggressive as I want. Maybe I will just have to keep experimenting. I would like a tool that removes wood somewhere between a band saw and a cabinet scraper. I've tried a couple of things: Drawknife, Rasp, Spokeshave, cabinet scraper. The draw knife is the best if you learn how to control it, but it is practically unusable if you have to remove wood around a knot in an even fashion. Maybe if I had a shave horse I could learn to do it, but I'm restricted in the direction of travel that I can pull the blade. The Rasp is about as fast as the scraper but less fatiguing. I've tried the spokeshave but haven't had much success with it. It has the same problems as the draw knife, but I did just get it and it probably needs to be sharpened.

I still want to try a Shinto rasp, and good surform and see how they compare. I also want to try a large sharp hand plane and see how that does. I would also contest that not all rasps of the same type are created equal. I bought a "very coarse" Nicholson rasp from my local woodwork store, but it was worse than the "medium-coarse" one I had of another brand. I still would like to try the Nicholson cabinet rasp #49 but don't have the money for it now. If you have a Very aggressive rasp I would encourage you to post the type, brand, and model number so we can share in your find.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline shackleton

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 03:59:57 pm »
Just ordered a #49 Nicholson rasp from 3 Rivers archery.See how it works.
Scott

Offline gfugal

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 07:26:45 pm »
keep us updated. tell us how it compares.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline bubby

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 08:14:44 pm »
A surform plane with a round bottom removed wood faster than a ferrier's rasp. I use both depending on the wood.

I have yet to see a surform that could come even close to being close to a good farriers rasp. I like bellotta they remove wood like a sun of a gun
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 10:48:03 pm »
 The Shinto seems to be a great tool, and I mean to get one.    I just got my first farriers rasp and it HOGS off wood pretty fast on the fine side for me.  The coarse side straight shreds half- green wood.  I paid 28.00, but a friend owned the shop and he was closing down, so I think I got a deal.

For real, name brand, good, sharp, half round rasps, you gotta spend a few bucks.  I'm still using one I paid $48.00 on close-out for, and to replace it I'd expect to cost me at least $65.00.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 05:41:16 pm »
My Preference,,in a Farriers  rasp,,is a Save Edge..

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 06:04:43 pm »
I also have a Save Edge. Works great. Way faster than my Shinto or anything else I've used.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2018, 11:45:19 pm »
I have a Ferrier buddy who gave me a handfull of Save Edge rasp and i like them for really rough removal.  However, the Shinto rasp was a game changer for me.  Its double sided course and medium. My absolute favorite.  I hated the stanley sure form, but to each their own.

Offline Badger

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2018, 03:31:08 am »

Traxx, you have worked with horses for some time haven't you?? I would imagine you know the best ferries rasps?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2018, 07:08:55 am »
I've been using farriers rasps from a neighbor friend of mine 3 miles away that is a farrier.Could'nt tell ya the brand name thogh off hand.Even a good used one hogs wood off good enough for me.
Using a rasp helps me get a feel for how dense the wood I'm working on is.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2018, 08:06:00 am »
A farriers rasp for me, also. If I want to really take off wood quick, I know, don't even want to hear it, I pull out the circular sander with 40 grit pad. And yes, I can floor tiller with it. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?