Author Topic: Care and storage/display of bows  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Chippintuff

Care and storage/display of bows
« on: March 23, 2018, 08:41:12 pm »
I had a fiberglass bow standing in the corner of a closet several years ago, and then one day I tried to string it. One of the limbs twisted. When I started asking around (didn't know of a forum then), people told me that a bow should never be stood on end, but should be stored horizontally. I would like to know your comments on storing/displaying bows and what can be done, if anything, to correct a limb that twists because of careless storage.

WA

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Care and storage/display of bows
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 09:57:25 pm »
Well, we're not really talking about fiberglass, are we?

Lots of us have been hanging our bows vertically by the string for a century, or centuries. This picture is not me and not my bows. It's from the 1930s or so. I'll let everybody try to be the first to tell who it is. (I do know)

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline helmet

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 10:13:53 pm »
Chester Stevenson!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 10:59:44 pm »
I store some vertically from string hooked over wood dowel. Others horiz. laying on pair of wood dowels.
Yeah, Chet Stevenson.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 08:52:43 am »
Holy cow! I count at least 40 bows and 9 or ten quivers and even more arrows in that picture.  My wife asks why I need the five bows I have. . .

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 09:18:55 am »
I hang all my bows the way they are in the pic above.  Standing on end puts all the weight on one end causing the twist. Hanging seema to be a safe way to store bows.
 You can probably get the twist out of your FG bows. Ask around.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 10:31:10 pm »
Yep, Chester  Stevenson is correct.

Just for the record, hanging a bow by its string STILL puts all the weight on the bottom tip. But, since the bow is truly vertical, there is no force trying to flex the limb. Standing a bow on its end against a wall puts the limbs on a diagonal and there is some force in a direction that might warp a limb--in a hundred years or so. ;)
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine