Author Topic: NEW TO BOW BUILDING AND NEED ADVICE  (Read 850 times)

Offline Carl Galvin

NEW TO BOW BUILDING AND NEED ADVICE
« on: March 30, 2018, 03:08:37 pm »
Greetings members,

I am in the process of trying to build my first bow, and wanted to know if you all would be kind enough to offer some more experienced advice as to where to continue to take wood off on the limbs.  I am aware of the hinge.  Lol Thank you in advance!  I hope this imgur paste allows people to view the photos. Thanks!

https://imgur.com/QDhXc9z

Offline osage outlaw

Re: NEW TO BOW BUILDING AND NEED ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 03:16:41 pm »
I'll post the link so it's easier for folks to see it. 

I would suggest staying away from the fades, especially the left one.  Try to get the rest of the limbs bending some.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 03:23:37 pm »
  Keep in mind that your hinge is the strongest part of the new bow you are building, everything else has to come down to match that hinge. You may have tried to cut it too close to start with instead of bringing it down while tillering. In all honesty I would finish this bow for the practice you get tillering and then start another one. Keep taking wood off of everywhere until it all is equal. Don't pull it any further than what it takes to expose the area bending too much. Look at your scale when you see it bending too much. That will be about the maximum weight of your new bow.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 03:30:26 pm »
Greetings Carl and welcome to PA.  Like Osage Outlaw said stay away from the fades especially that hinge. You need to get your whole limbs bending. If you really study your picture you might notice the only place your limbs are bending is right out of handle or "fades. The rest of the limb is still very stiff and nearly straight. Your limb should be bending everywhere. The most strain is closest to handle. The least stress is near tips. To get a even bend over the whole limb your limb needs to have a tapered thickness or width getting thinner as you go towards tips. This will allow the whole limb to bend. Very common for beginners to end up with bend out of fades and rest of limb stiff.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 03:36:04 pm »
Not a thing I can add beyond what has already been said.  So I will have to settle for just welcoming you.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 03:43:36 pm »
Thank you all for your advice, I really appreciate it.  This experience has certainly given me much more respect and appreciation for the art of bow building.   I will work on tapering those outer parts of the limbs and stay away from that hinge. I npw understand that the hinge will be delineate the limit of my bow draw length and weight.  It has been a great experience in any event, and I will certainly attempt to build a new one in the near future.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 06:03:31 pm »
Welcome Carl and you've already been given expert advice. It will be a good learning experience since you have already pre determined your weight and draw.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?