Author Topic: Best way to bend osage  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Scallorn

Best way to bend osage
« on: April 03, 2018, 08:50:47 pm »
So I'm working on my second Osage stave bow and so far everything is going well. The only way I've ever put reflex into limbtips is to rub with oil and heat until soft. Is boiling better?  If so, how long do you boil osage before it becomes soft?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Best way to bend osage
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 09:58:50 pm »
With seasoned osage I think your original method with dry heat and oil is best but some prefer steaming and boiling with thicker wood. It's been a long time since I steamed osage but it seems 30 minutes of so should do it. I think I'd seal the wood first with shellac to prevent checking.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 04:49:24 am »
When reflexing the outer limb(not sharp recurves) on dry wood, I just use the heat gun. No oil. I've never used oil and never had a problem. I like to do it when the limbs are beginning to flex. Sometimes the back is sealed with shellac, but often it's not. If I know it's dry, it doesn't need it.

Perhaps we should ask you first... what degree of curve you plan to bend it into?
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 07:24:03 am »
I've had osage staves that were 10 years dry that checked when I used heat on them. I keep spray shellac on my work bench all the time and use it often.  I also use oil when I use heat to bend osage. I think it helps the wood hold the heat longer, helps it penetrate and keeps it from scorching. Right or wrong these things have worked for me for many, many years of building bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 08:36:28 am »
If the Osage is below 9% I have used a heat Gun on  over a hundred without oil or anything else. No problem. If you are reflexing at the ends you need to hold the heat pretty far from the bow say 2-1/2 inches. Let the weight of the bow pull in the reflex with the heat. Warning keep one hand under the bow as it starts to bend . Sometimes they deside to go quickly and it can crack across the limb tip at say two to three inches from the end of the bow. You can take the drop off the belly side of the limb and practice on it if you used a band saw to rough the bow. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 06:39:05 pm »
When reflexing the outer limb(not sharp recurves) on dry wood, I just use the heat gun. No oil. I've never used oil and never had a problem. I like to do it when the limbs are beginning to flex. Sometimes the back is sealed with shellac, but often it's not. If I know it's dry, it doesn't need it.

Perhaps we should ask you first... what degree of curve you plan to bend it into?
+1.We should know what your plans are.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hamish

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 06:43:41 pm »
+ 1 for using oil. Never had a crack/check start with oil, but I have without oil.

Offline BSV

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 06:59:27 pm »
what kind of oil??? Burt

Offline Weylin

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 07:08:22 pm »
I'm really liking the boiling method.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 07:33:18 pm »
Burt, just about anything will work.  Lard, peanut oil, shortening.  I've been using coconut oil.  I've heard of guys using lemon or orange oil.

Some salad oils have a very low smoke point, which you can google, so I avoid those. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 07:51:01 pm »
I use olive oil because that's what I cook with. Any oil will work.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 09:26:49 pm »
Maybe I need to try oil. Is there a benefit from the oil more than the wood drying to fast to the point of cracking ? Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!