Author Topic: Any body else have this problem ?  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Any body else have this problem ?
« on: April 01, 2018, 04:45:57 am »
With the end of winter I decided to do some overdue spring cleaning my storage room/office/ junk room was so over stuffed with staves bow supplies/ arrows and such , and I hate to throw any thing out that could have building potential & save the failed bows (corner of shame) for later but I was to the point of walking around and stepping & tripping over stuff that I had to make a decision on throwing out stuff ,burnt the corner of shame...lol its tuff throwing out wood or any thing bow related because 4 months down the line I could have used it...,lol  now to the shop 🙄any body else ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Any body else have this problem ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 04:46:53 am »
More

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 04:47:29 am »
More

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 05:20:21 am »
Nope. I'm quick to cull my staves and I'm quite critical of them. Material that won't allow my best work doesn't last long.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 06:07:53 am »
I did some much needed spring cleaning and reorganizing yesterday, still need to do more. It doesn't help when you add flint knapping, trapping, tanning hides and all the stuff required for making shoot arrows and stuff from hides. My staves are all on a fairly neat pile or two. Well maybe three. I hang my hides and bows from overhead platform and arrows and quivers from wall. Made a couple tubes for storing more arrows yesterday. Really need to organize my arrow making supplies better and also flint knapping stuff. I also need to make some displays for points and knives. I was doing pretty good till this winter. I've accumulated a lot of stuff that I need to better organize. Thinking I should get some of those stackable plastic storage containers.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 07:42:03 am »
BJ I'm going to do the tube thing also behind the door, I noticed a lot of the stuff being tall & thin will fit in tubes ,arrows,horn, sinew, Etc leaving the staves & bows horizontal, although I would like to find a better hold then 10 penny nails , the shop there all held the same way but would like to get more organized !

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 08:29:09 am »
I have a shop clean-up and wood burning ever couple of years. It is very hard for me to light fire to a piece of osage that I might use for a handle section or tip overlay but it has to be done or my shop will become impassible.

I have a huge collection of osage staves and billets under my house in a crawlspace, about 50% of the wood is bow quality, the rest I probably won't fool with. I can't bring myself to put the crummy stuff on the burn pile, I will let my heirs deal with it when I croak.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 10:09:41 am »
I have that problem.  My plan is to build a bigger work shop.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 11:31:15 am »
Don't let my wife see this thread!!  I'll go with OO!  When all else fails add more space >:D. Or hang it on the wall
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 01:58:34 pm »
I hear you all too.I know where everything is though and that counts for something....Ha Ha Ha.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 02:19:05 pm »
I hear you all too.I know where everything is though and that counts for something....Ha Ha Ha.

Ain't that the truth Ed. I might not be able to get to it but I know where it is.lol
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 06:48:48 pm »
Yup, I've got that problem in spades. My wife only lets me put bow stuff in one corner of the living room and I had to fight for that with the rational that it's right near the wood stove and allows me to dry stuff faster.  ::) My workshop gets pretty cluttered.

There's something to be said for a good thorough "get rid of what I'll never use" cleaning though. If I'm realistic about it, there's plenty to toss or burn, and a cleaner, more organized space helps free my mind up to do my best work.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline stickbowbeard

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 07:49:12 am »
I wish I had a little more of that problem, although my wife would disagree.  I suffer from a severe lack of staves.  At the moment I only have two staves, which I ordered and received this last week, and one partially complete bow.  I do have quite a few finished bows hanging from my handy-dandy bow hanging device in the corner of my storage room, and a few 3" PVC arrow holders stuffed full of mostly broken arrows in the same room, and I have two broken bows sitting in the corner that I just can't part with because they were the first two bows I made and they are a good reminder of where I've been.  Since I currently have a wife and 4 children living with me, that all have at least one bow, plus my bows, my bow hanger is definitely full, but for now they're all here to stay.  I've been trying to build up a bit of a stave collection, but I end up building bows just as fast as I acquire staves.  Now I have 3 or 4 young men from church asking me to help them build their first bows, and I need to get a hold of enough wood to get them started.  Good news is, I may have found a cure.  Since I now live in Texas, I have found a couple of potential sources for free Osage.  I just need to find the time on a weekend to go cut them down and split them, and the patience to let them cure before digging in.  Hopefully this pans out...

Offline smoke

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 07:51:01 am »
I've reviewed this multiple times . . . but I don't see a problem.