Author Topic: Local Black Locust  (Read 1401 times)

Offline DC

Local Black Locust
« on: April 03, 2018, 03:28:46 pm »
I have a Black Locust stave that Pender Bender gave me. Thanks Brendan. It has very fine rings, about 40 or better rpi. I really doubt that I can chase one 6" let alone 66". Should I just get it as smooth as I can and hope thin rings trumps a few violated ones. I think this grew on Pender Island so it will be different than what you get back east. Same species, different climate.

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Local Black Locust
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 08:28:32 pm »
I've worked with Osage that had VERY thin rings like that. If I were you I'd chase one the best I could and then back it with rawhide or cherry bark.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 08:42:59 pm »
The only wood that I know of where ring violations are ok is yew.
I do the best I could and then back it with rawhide, linen, silk or burlap.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 08:57:13 pm »
Would it stand a thin Maple back?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 09:21:39 pm »
DC, I can't say. I've never done a wooden backing. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 09:29:59 pm »
Don back it for sure. I just broke the other half of that sapling  floor tillering. Some of those rings on the back are questionable. After it broke you could see the sap wood rings were almost rotten. Really tissuey. Haha if that's a word. It broke like a foot from the tip and on the back and then just basically followed that ring right up until it hit a knot and stopped. The heart wood didn't brake at all. Cheers- Brendan

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 09:55:37 pm »
I think I'll try my maple backing. I'll go thin and maybe trap the back. There's a knot to deal with too. Ahh, I like a challenge ;D ;D

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 07:40:30 pm »
  Why specify "thin" maple back?     I think a maple back would be fine, of course.   Is the locust low-density due to the rings, or normal density and just a lot of rings?   

I have backed QS black locust with hickory, bamboo, and white oak with good results.  Can't see why maple wouldn't work.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 07:54:58 pm »
I didn't want to overpower the BL belly. The rings that will be the belly look pretty good from an early/late aspect. When I decrown it that will get rid of the really thin rings. I don't have a lot of experience with BL(1 bow) so I'm not really sure of the quality.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 09:25:25 pm »
I have a Black Locust stave that Pender Bender gave me. Thanks Brendan. It has very fine rings, about 40 or better rpi. I really doubt that I can chase one 6" let alone 66". Should I just get it as smooth as I can and hope thin rings trumps a few violated ones. I think this grew on Pender Island so it will be different than what you get back east. Same species, different climate.

Nothing to do with climate, I live south of you a bit, but I have seen half inch rings in locust on the coast and in king county. Matter of fact I know where a whole pile is sitting right now, I will see if I can get a pic.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.