Author Topic: Kalapuya bows?  (Read 1577 times)

Offline High-Desert

Kalapuya bows?
« on: April 08, 2018, 12:13:21 pm »
I have been wanting to make a replica of a kalapuya bow for a long time, but I can not find any information on them, except for a picture of a replica Steve Allely made, but it's an odd angle picture and I'd like to see an actual museum piece or some reference to their design. Has anyone ever seen one in a museum or found photos of them? I'm sure it's a slim chance, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks

Eric

Offline willie

Re: Kalapuya bows?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 12:46:12 pm »
http://www.oregon-archaeology.com/museum/virtual/                      35 and 36 has some pics of the replica?

would not other examples from the same area be similar?  I think Steve is active with in the knapping community, should not be too hard to contact.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 01:25:36 pm »
Those are the only picture that I have been able to find. I guess contacting Steve might be the best option. I think he lives just a few miles from me, in Sisters.
Eric

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 05:44:29 pm »

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 07:49:25 pm »
Awesome, I think those will give me something to work from.
Eric

Offline FilipT

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 08:30:20 am »
What is the average length of these and what draw weight and draw length are common?

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 10:48:52 am »
From the photos I have seen, they look to be mid 50's up to man height. Which seems long for the region. Being that long, it seems they would have a different method of shooting them. I'm not sure how most tribes in the areashot their bows, because apparently it's not like Ishi's tribe shot them, so this may have made their draw lengths longer.
Eric

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 08:48:59 am »
Neat thread, High-Desert.  Used to find a lot of Kalapuya arrowheads in the bean fields along the Long Tom River between Eugene and Corvallis. I am not surprised that the bows are long-ish, thanks to the great abundance of wonderful bow and arrow woods in the Willamette Valley and west-side Cascades. Looking at the sketch, the quiver seems to have an animal face, and might be that old quiver standby -- a cased otter skin.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 12:37:41 pm »
The ag fields in the willamette valley seem to have lots of arrowheads in them if you get in the right spot. I grew up in Mount Angel, and a friends farm just outside of town, they have found hundreds of pristine arrowheads, several mortor and pestle looking things. I'm surprised there isn't an bows in museums from the kalapuya since it was so much later that they were displaced.
Eric