Author Topic: Basic question on draw length vs long bow length  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Basic question on draw length vs long bow length
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 03:03:57 am »
Never make the bow longer than your stave  ;)  ::)
But seriously tho' folks. I generally make 'em 2" longer than I actually want, it give you a bit or wriggle room to shorten it a tad after if you are a few # short.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 10:34:43 am »

For safety, efficiency, comfort of draw, and accuracy it's a good rule to always make the bow as long as use conditions allow. Longer bows, all else equal, are far less likely to break. They have lower string angles, for lower stack/higher energy storage. The mass disadvantages of length can be neutralized by reducing the degree of bend in the grip and near-grip areas. This reduced bend means lower hysteresis just where most of the bow's energy is stored. Arguments and comments welcomed. -- Tim Baker
Welcome aboard Tim :D :D

Offline Sabb

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 08:31:29 pm »
As a tall, long armed person, short bows are fun, but longer bows are more comfortable to use. More usefully, you can change your mind and make things shorter down the road. Tough to make 'em longer.

Sebastian

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 08:40:20 pm »
  Over the years my bows keep getting longer, I started off around 62" and now most of mine are at 68". Less prone to set, smoother draws and better performance.

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 09:27:34 pm »
  Over the years my bows keep getting longer, I started off around 62" and now most of mine are at 68". Less prone to set, smoother draws and better performance.
Have you made an effort to keep the limb mass down?

Offline Badger

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 09:32:07 pm »
  My limb mass is also getting bigger. I finished one yesterday should have been 21 oz and came in at 24 oz. This is the straight bow I will be shooting at Mojam. I give low set the highest priority and naturally keep the outer limbs pretty thin but not scary thin.