Author Topic: WHEN TO BRACE AND HOW MUCH BRACE  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Carl Galvin

Re: WHEN TO BRACE AND HOW MUCH BRACE
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 04:57:27 pm »
Mr. Krewson,  I have been doing this, and yes there are still pencil marks on that stiff limb to the right.  The more bending limb only has a tiny smidge being marked towards the outside of the limb, but it is pretty much done it seems, at least at this junction of the tiller.  I was thinking about continuing to just concentrate on catching that right one up more before I even tackle that tiny smidge on the left one.

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 05:04:55 pm »
Thank you for all of the input, I know there are some issues going on here to say the least.  There is also  unevenness in my ghetto tillering stick cradle up top, which I think has something is what is causing the difference in string length.  I didn't put much time into building the tillering stick.

With respect to the handle, I dont know what to do with it at this point.  Any suggestions?

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 07:48:50 pm »
Bushboy, I think you have a point.  I didnt really pay much attention to the handle area, but I have noticed that I have like an inch or so more handle out into the limb on the stiff side, than I do on the other side.  I dont know if that is what is causing that side to bend less.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 12:27:37 am »
Carl,
Not sure if it helps, but I level the bow and clamp it in the tree notch with a C-clamp, then bend it.  However, I am very new, and trying to feel my way slowly.  But the main advice is "Don't pull over your target weight, regardless! Period.  When all else faills, don't pull over your target weight!  And keep an eye on the bends in your limbs.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 07:17:43 am »
There is something abut how you are using the gizmo that doesn't add up. I have encountered the same limb imbalance when I got in a hurry to go to the short string. When I slowed down and carefully set the gizmo, my setting from the weak limb would mark most of the stiff limb. Usually my 50# bow would turn into a 40# bow by the time I had the limbs balanced.

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 07:26:41 am »
Mr. Krewson,

I guess I have a lady's here then.  It is already at 45 pounds at 28.  I didnt notch it down at 28, but I held it there for a few seconds and that is what I got.  The thing is that I started using the gizmo later in the game.  I hadn't discovered your invention until after I had alredy spent some time in the tillering process.  Well, a good, learnign experience to say the least. 

I am just a compound bow hunter fantasizing about traditional archery hunting and here I am, trying to build a bow.  But I will definitely try again, and again.  It is a great hobby!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 12:28:55 pm »
For a first bow you are doing great, failure is part of the process. The reason I don't show my first bow is because it blew up after 30 shots in spite of being sinew backed.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 12:48:57 pm »
Nothing wrong with a 45-50# bow!  Been shooting in that #range for 60 plus years, on the other hand, I have had a bad shoulder for that long!  Haven't hunted with bow very much though.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry