Author Topic: Tillering a backed bow  (Read 3074 times)

Offline DC

Tillering a backed bow
« on: April 11, 2018, 01:35:33 pm »
I just had something happen(again) that I have only noticed on backed bows. I was happily tillering away, everything going fine, put the bow on the tree and gave a couple of pulls and one section of the bow just gave a little. I saw it jump a bit as it went. It was fine and then it just hinged. Is this something I should be watching for with backed bows or is this just a coincidence? I had two inches to go. I might save it but it's basically gone I think. This is on my Maple backed Locust. It is a couple thousands thinner where it hinged. There is 1/3 backing and 2/3 belly.

PS No visible chrysals---yet.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 01:39:05 pm by DC »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Tillering a backed bow
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 01:54:05 pm »
Could it be a glue problem DC?
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 02:22:50 pm »
That was one of my first thoughts but the join looks good. Any ideas what to look for? By the time I caught up to the hinge the bow was 30# and with the glue there I can't even use it to cook brats :D :D

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 02:44:28 pm »
visible in the tiller, but no apparent damage otherwise? Has it taken set at the hinge?

could be the "hidden damage" that precedes the obvious, if so,  good catch

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 03:00:37 pm »
I'd say its an under-exercised issue. Just a guess. A few thousandths thickness variation is nothing. A human hair is .003".
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 03:08:42 pm »
I'd say its an under-exercised issue. Just a guess. A few thousandths thickness variation is nothing. A human hair is .003".

+1  How many times do you exercise/draw the bow after you remove wood? 
Northern Ute

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 03:11:21 pm »
Willie--Yes it took a lot of set in the hinge and the other limb is the same just not as bad. I think I was scraping too much in one spot. It's an RD an the hinge(s) are about a foot out from the handle. Seems to me the last time this happened it was the same. I'll avoid that spot next time.

PD-- Good thought, I've kind of gotten away from the 30 pulls thing. Time to back up a bit.

Has anyone ever glued a veneer on the belly. I was thinking that I could correct the tiller and then glue a veneer on the belly and live with what happens. There wouldn't be enough to tiller so that would be it. Ahh, it's just a stick, I'll throw it away and start again.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 03:14:17 pm »
I have glued veneers on belly's with good success.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 03:34:35 pm »
  DC, I have had that happen on R/D bow more times than I like to admit. That is one of the reasons I started going to full draw weight after each wood removal. Did it happen in an area where you started the reflex?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 03:35:01 pm »
I had an osage recurve fret badly(uncommon for osage, not seasoned enough)  so I ground down the belly and added an Argentine osage lam to the belly. Re-tillered and all was good.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 04:22:40 pm »
I agree about excersising the limbs.  I find that with backed bows (bamboo especially) it is resistant to change so excersising is more so important to not have hinges pop up. 
I do think thousands of an inch are important. I have read, calculated, and tested that .003-.005” of thickness on a dense belly is equal to about 1 lb difference in draw weight.  So if you had one limb a pound or 2 stronger than the other one I think you would notice the imbalance in your hand or have your pull hook sway one way or the other.  When you make that adjustment and scrape a few times to balance the limb you are making thousandths of an inch adjustments. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 04:49:55 pm by Bayou Ben »

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 05:57:46 pm »
Here's some pics. It looks worse in person. Doesn't look like I took any wood off the outers. Not really proud of this. It started out so nice. The reflex went from 1 3/4 after glueup to 2 1/4" after tillering out to about 18" and then all of a sudden it dropped to an inch.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 08:15:33 pm »
"Has anyone ever glued a veneer on the belly. "

I never have just glued on a bit as a patch, but I have ground down and added a thin belly lam to save a bow.  I did almost the whole limb, though.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 08:23:11 pm »
  How is the whole thing constructed?   Is it all one piece plus a backing, or is it a backing, belly stock, a handle block, power lam, etc....

The similar experiences I had were the result of something "giving" near the fades when I had too much going on.

Like I had a power lam, bellys fishtailed at the handle, then I had thin slats making up the handle and dips, plus my backing was 2" too short, so I cut it and let it gap near the handle.  So the backing at the middle stubbed out on the back, then I ground it flat, covered it with an overlay.   The fades or something buckled or slipped.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 09:35:01 pm »
It looks complex but nothing extends beyond the fades but the belly and backing. The hinge is a foot out the limb.