Author Topic: Tillering a backed bow  (Read 3024 times)

Offline Springbuck

Re: Tillering a backed bow
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 09:40:27 pm »
Yup, it's not that, then, I don't think.......

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 07:54:54 am »
DC.....I did'nt see this yet,but from doing bamboo backed wood board pecan bows D/R I'd say people are right.It's a not excersized enough issue.That glue line is tougher than you think too.Especially with a lot of reflex to excersize they are very touchy.
It's up to you to add belly lam wood to increase poundage.It'll work,but you might be better off starting over.It's up to you though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 08:26:43 am »
Sorry to see that, it looks really nice unstrung! If I where you I would save the energy and sart over.
But if you want to fiddle with it some more... This is what I tried ones and worked out really well:

I had a bamboo backed ipe with about the same fades as your bow. Cut a thin bamboo backing in half and heat bend one end of each piece to roughly match the curve of the handle fades. Glued both pieces of bamboo to the belly going up the fades. Make sure the boo is thin because it will add a lot of draw weight! (Mine added about 30 lbs but I glued in some extra reflex for fun;-) )

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 08:55:08 am »
That's an interesting fix leonwood.  I'm guessing you don't have much room to tiller such a bow after the bamboo is glued on. 
If you didn't tell us, I would have thought it was designed that way.  How did it perform? 

Offline darinputman

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 03:56:32 pm »
I made a bamboo back osage that came in under weight and added bamboo on the belly. I then came in way over and decided why not tiller just like I would a wood belly bow. I had seen where a lot of folks said it wouldn't work but wondered how many had actually tried it. I proceeded to begin tillering as if the nodes we're not even there and made what was probably as good shooting a bow as I've ever made.  Reluctantly put a shelf on for a left handed shooter and gave the bow to the intended recipient. Bow is still shooting fine.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 03:48:13 pm »
Looks really cool, Leon.