Author Topic: Post For Tim Baker ( Sinew)  (Read 55263 times)

Offline willie

Re: Post For Tim Baker ( Sinew)
« Reply #300 on: April 28, 2018, 12:41:29 pm »
Absolutely Bob.The combo is as they say mother natures FG.The only 2 reasons to use titebond is for convenience and most times worries about humidity and moisture protection.Performance is stunted dramatically.

Ed, when you tried it with titebond did you encourage the bow to go int reflex by reverse stringing?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #301 on: April 28, 2018, 02:37:56 pm »
I always mounded my sinew regardless of bow design so that most of it was down the middle of the limb.  This should have taken some stress off the belly.

guess I should have said how much and how thick also. the" taking the strain off the belly" idea has a lot to do with proportions, there is always the "too much of a good thing" possibility

And proportion has a lot to do with how much of it is working
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Tim Baker

« Reply #302 on: April 28, 2018, 03:47:28 pm »

PatM

" I suggested that sinew and glue together might be different synergistically."

I should have paid more attention. The 50 points is yours. You're tied with BowEd

This is a fascinating puzzle... given that they're mixed together, and given their great difference in behaviors,  the ratio of glue to sinew is bound to make a large difference in performance. And it likely can't be calculated, a series of ratio tests needed.

Willie:

" Tim, I have some glue on TP strips drying now? How long did it take for yours to shrink the 15-20% ?"

If single strips, and hung in air to dry, just a few hours. But if not allowed to hard gel first, then put under mild pressure between multiple layers of paper towels or such, the towels changed periodically, the sample will become deformed and corrugated. It can take a two or three day the towel/pressure way.

Haven't tried this with different glue grades and dilutions. 

Here's piece of the earlier-mentioned hide-glue foam.  About .5 or .10 specific gravity but so touch a thumb nail won't dent it, even given the pressure that dents oak.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #303 on: April 28, 2018, 06:27:17 pm »
Willie....I've never used titebond with sinew,but have seen it done.The benefits and resiliency are not there without using hide glue in the tension department.Maybe they are in the compression department.I would'nt know that nor have I seen it used.
In other words when using titebond with the sinew it serves more as bullet proof backing with the extra mass weight of the sinew not working for it's fair share of the working load.I'm not sure it would do much better in compression either carrying it's fair share of work compared to it's mass weight.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 07:52:43 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Tim Baker

« Reply #304 on: April 29, 2018, 12:50:07 am »
Enjoyed the civil and productive exchanges. Thanks all.  I'm leaving this site for less restrictive pastures. I'll be posting on the PaleoPlanet site.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #305 on: April 29, 2018, 06:52:08 am »
From the dealings I have had with you in the past Tim I have come to realize that it is either your way or the highway.  Your inability to have respect for the people who bring this site to the good people here indicates that you are not suited to being here. 

Good luck and good bye.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sleek

« Reply #306 on: April 29, 2018, 10:31:04 am »
From the dealings I have had with you in the past Tim I have come to realize that it is either your way or the highway.  Your inability to have respect for the people who bring this site to the good people here indicates that you are not suited to being here. 

Good luck and good bye.

Marc, a person who speaks their mind clearly is rare and respectable,  but perhaps that message could have been a private one?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PatM

« Reply #307 on: April 29, 2018, 10:42:32 am »
It started out private and Tim brought it on here looking for support.

Offline sleek

« Reply #308 on: April 29, 2018, 10:50:18 am »
It started out private and Tim brought it on here looking for support.

Well i guess i have no clue wtf is going on. Sorry.

Offline PatM

« Reply #309 on: April 29, 2018, 10:53:01 am »
Read the thread below and it will be clear.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #310 on: April 29, 2018, 11:06:46 am »
Funny stuff between the two threads, I needed a chuckle. I don't know Tim and probably haven't read two paragraphs of his writings, so no opinion on his presence here or gone. What I do know is PA and wood bow builders will continue on better than ever no matter who frequents the proverbial PA bar stools.

P.S. Good rules don't have grey areas. And the link rule isn't grey.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #311 on: April 29, 2018, 11:15:33 am »
Read the thread below and it will be clear.

I see. Terrible situation to have happen.

Offline willie

« Reply #312 on: April 29, 2018, 11:49:01 am »
One easy method for directing attention to pages outside PA has been accomplished with the   #  "insert code" button in the editor. It's my understanding an url can be posted, just not as a clickable hyperlink
Code: [Select]
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,63321.0.htmlone extra step to post, one extra step to read the linked page
Just click on "select", then copy and paste into new address bar
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 01:39:58 pm by willie »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #313 on: April 29, 2018, 02:19:08 pm »
As Pat said, I started it out as a PM to Tim, that wasn't good enough for him and he brought it out on the board.

It's easy enough to disable a link and still get your message across, don't know why he though that was unacceptable.

Glad you had a chuckle Chris.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #314 on: April 29, 2018, 03:17:20 pm »
I meant that with all due respect. I thought it was funny how childish someone could be over something so petty and insignificant in the picture of life. Passion is one thing. Arrogance or ignorance, which rhymes :), are another.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.