Author Topic: New PB  (Read 25633 times)

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
New PB
« on: April 13, 2018, 06:30:27 am »
Last week we had a small flight competition along with a traditional clout shoot. No strict classes or rules, just see who shoots an arrow from a wooden bow the longest way.

The weather could not have been better, moderate wind and sunny (first nice spring weekend here in the Netherlands!)

Lately I have been working on a few flightbows and some new arrows (Thanks Tuomo;-)). Finished an ipe/boo mollegabet style bow just in time so I decided to try it at the competition without ever shooting it before.

So my previous personal best was 280 meters (306 yards) with a 55 pound mulberry flatbow and I was hoping to go past 300 meters with this one.

So I shot two spruce arrows and one purpleheart. The purpleheart was too weak and went off to the right but the spruce arrow went 349 meters! (381 yards)

I could not have been happier with the result! Working towards some new personal flight records all winter and got it at the first shoot ;D
A friend of mine managed to persuade a land owner to use his field for flightshooting so we also have a place to test out the other bows and arrows we are working on.

Some specs of the bow and pics:
The bows length is about 60" ntn and draws about 70@26. Glued it up as a moderate rd and it kept it's shape really well. Started off with a little longer levers but they where too unstable so I cut an inch off each to fix that.
String is 6 strand fastflight so that helped a lot I guess

The arrow is spruce and is 26" long and weighs 264 grains. It has no point and a self nock and the balance point is about an inch behind the centre. Fletching is rawhide, a little over an inch long and a little over a quarter inch high

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: New PB
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 07:20:39 am »
Congrats, nice one :)
Lovely looking bow  :)
But enough of the meters already  ;) . Yards is what we want, none of your fancy pants foreign measurements. You'll be giving us draw weight in kilos next  ::) .
Interesting that your arrow flew straight with the COG behind centre... I've seen some fly like a corkscrew with the weight too close to centre. Maybe the fatter back end and the flights keep it going straight? Any thoughts, comments anyone?
Is the nock reinforced with horn?
2 pics look like Ipe belly, but in one pic (on the right) the belly looks pale???
Del
PS. I've gone metric every inch of the way  ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:34:38 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 08:17:36 am »
   Excellent shot!  Those long low string angle levers are very effective at maintaining efficiency with light arrows.  Do you happen to know the speed at which the arrow left the bow? My guess would be about 225 to 230 with clean flight.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 08:21:21 am »
   When we talk about center on an arrow I don't believe the true center reflects what the dynamic center actually is. I believe we can have the mass centered slightly behind center but still be in front of dynamic center.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 11:19:27 am »
Real nice shot!  25 kg is a bit over my pull ability, but a good range for a lot of folks.   >:D Del, those metrics must be a military thing!  The Army spent over 30 years teaching me how to speak metric, now I have to learn to not talk about "kliks"( kilometers) anymore.  However, the the Bolder Boulder Road run(walk in my case) is still 10 kilometers(6.2 miles) - it's those darn little milis and centis that give me trouble!  It has to be some sort of subversive plot! LOL! >:D.      :BB :NN (SH)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 11:30:22 am »
In the interest of fairness I confess I do use mm for width and thickness of bow limb as they are V convenient, but I hate all other metric measures with a passion.  ;D
I wouldn't recognise a gram or a kilometer if they bit bit me on the backside.  :o
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 12:51:14 pm »
Nice shot Leon. and thanks for the pics, the bow has performance and appearance, especially like the snaky handle.

Del, you are on the wrong side of the pond to complain about euro things,  >:D
(did you know that in merica most folks read "New PB" and wonder why the guy is posting about his jar of peanut butter?)

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 01:16:06 pm »
Congrats, nice one :)
Lovely looking bow  :)
But enough of the meters already  ;) . Yards is what we want, none of your fancy pants foreign measurements. You'll be giving us draw weight in kilos next  ::) .
Interesting that your arrow flew straight with the COG behind centre... I've seen some fly like a corkscrew with the weight too close to centre. Maybe the fatter back end and the flights keep it going straight? Any thoughts, comments anyone?
Is the nock reinforced with horn?
2 pics look like Ipe belly, but in one pic (on the right) the belly looks pale???
Del
PS. I've gone metric every inch of the way  ;D

Thanks Del!
You probably know that over here it is meters that count so might as well teach them some metrics here 8)

But the arrow just has a self nock without reinforcement, tried it a few times and did not fail yet so my last few arrows I did it like this.
In the photo the bow has no finish on it so the ipe looks very dull. It has a few coats of danish oil now so it looks a lot darker now. Will take some pics with my “real” camera soon.
We had some tailwind so maybe that is why the arrow worked so good? I will try to make a front heavy arrow of the same overal weight and try it from this bow to see what the difference is!

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 01:55:27 pm »
   Excellent shot!  Those long low string angle levers are very effective at maintaining efficiency with light arrows.  Do you happen to know the speed at which the arrow left the bow? My guess would be about 225 to 230 with clean flight.

Thanks! This flight stuff is addictive ;D
But no, although I have a chrono I rarely use it. I have to figure out a safe backstop for my flight arrows and will get back with results

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 02:00:23 pm »
   When we talk about center on an arrow I don't believe the true center reflects what the dynamic center actually is. I believe we can have the mass centered slightly behind center but still be in front of dynamic center.

This could well be the case, I am experimenting with arrows a lot now just to figure out the dynamics a bit better. I read all the postst in this forum but somehow just trying what works and what not makes me understand it easier

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 01:54:38 pm »
Congratulations! Just amazing results! In Finland we can just dream that kind of numbers...

Offline Julian

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 04:19:18 am »
How wide are the levers?

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 06:51:03 am »
Congratulations! Just amazing results! In Finland we can just dream that kind of numbers...
Thanks Tuomo, was just dreaming for me a few weeks ago also but working on "no set" bows and new arrows all winter really pays off

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 06:53:03 am »
How wide are the levers?

Not really sure, I just narrowed them as much as possible. I guess they are only 7 mm wide at the tips.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 07:28:35 am »
Congrats!  Great results from a well crafted set.   Looks like you saved weight out on the tips by using maple, or is that just thicker bamboo?