Author Topic: Perry reflex question  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Springbuck

Re: Perry reflex question
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 12:03:58 am »
If you leave a wooden bow braced for a year or so it will take a permanent set. Do the internal stresses of a Perry reflex take a set and lose their effect after a while?

Do you mean just a blank sitting there? Or strung?

I once years ago, took a R/D blank off the form, that had cracked at a belly corner going into the form.  There were a couple things I wasn't happy with about it, actually, so it went into the "I'll come back to this later" bucket.   I started making way more selfbows about then, and it sat there for 5-6 years, year round in the garage and never budged an inch.

Eventually, I narrowed it and made a 25 lb bow for a young lady from it for her LARP hobby.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 07:59:52 am »
Heat and chemicals are the 2 ways of plasticizing lignin.  Once the cells are plasticized the wood can be re-shaped to a different configuration and once cooled will stay that way
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 09:59:28 am »
So would there be any disadvantages to heating a core into reflex and then glueing your backing into place?

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 11:08:11 am »
If you leave a wooden bow braced for a year or so it will take a permanent set. Do the internal stresses of a Perry reflex take a set and lose their effect after a while?

Do you mean just a blank sitting there? Or strung?

I once years ago, took a R/D blank off the form, that had cracked at a belly corner going into the form.  There were a couple things I wasn't happy with about it, actually, so it went into the "I'll come back to this later" bucket.   I started making way more selfbows about then, and it sat there for 5-6 years, year round in the garage and never budged an inch.

Eventually, I narrowed it and made a 25 lb bow for a young lady from it for her LARP hobby.

Braced

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 02:33:37 pm »
It would depend on the creep level of the glue you used.   

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 03:33:59 pm »
OK. What happens to the wood in a strung bow, over time, that makes it take a set and why can't it happen in a Perry reflex bow?

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 04:07:33 pm »
It could, not sure why you think it can't?

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 11:58:32 pm »
  Yeah, I'm with Pat.  I would assume a Perry reflexed bow under STRAIN, like strung and left, WOULD take set.

Who knows, it might take a smidgin less, maybe at first, but it's gotta eventually.