Author Topic: Juniper bow stave removal by Native Americans  (Read 3947 times)

Offline Taxus brevifolia

Re: Juniper bow stave removal by Native Americans
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 10:51:09 pm »
Has anyone here tried it on yew or other species?

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 11:52:48 pm »
  I have tried it on elm!

I had this idea that I might season a stave on the tree better in the hot summer.   I found a stave I wanted and instead of cutting the whole sapling down, taking it home and splitting it, I cut halfway through the tree at the top and bottom of the stave.  I also peeled away some of the bark on the sides, but didn't score it or take bark off the back of the stave. 

I left it a week or so, came back, braced my foot against the little tree, and pulled the top over, away from the stave.   Sure enough, it just started popping off, the rest of the tree bent my way and kind of folded over.  It wasn't a nice, clean split.  It was ragged with lots of tear-out, and I had to twist and wrestle it off, but it kind of worked, and the stave was definitely dryer than fresh cut, though not "ready".

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 02:51:57 am »
I'm going to try it

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 09:45:12 am »
  I have tried it on elm!

I had this idea that I might season a stave on the tree better in the hot summer.   I found a stave I wanted and instead of cutting the whole sapling down, taking it home and splitting it, I cut halfway through the tree at the top and bottom of the stave.  I also peeled away some of the bark on the sides, but didn't score it or take bark off the back of the stave. 

I left it a week or so, came back, braced my foot against the little tree, and pulled the top over, away from the stave.   Sure enough, it just started popping off, the rest of the tree bent my way and kind of folded over.  It wasn't a nice, clean split.  It was ragged with lots of tear-out, and I had to twist and wrestle it off, but it kind of worked, and the stave was definitely dryer than fresh cut, though not "ready".

I know this is quibbling but if you had cut it and taken it home wouldn't it be drier in the week or so? Not to mention the gas used for two trips. I'm trying to figure out a "why". Did the natives notch and leave it or did they remove it immediately? Or do we know?

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 08:09:25 pm »
  I tried it just cuz.   

The vacant lot I cut it from is right in the neighborhood and barely out of my way between here and work.  It was a pure experiment.   I was thinking about how tough it seemed to me to make bows with stone tools, and wondering how to minimize that work by doing things like notching and splitting, chiseling, etc., to rough the bow out.

What I was mostly interested in was seeing if the stave got dry enough sitting there, that the wood was stiffer than the green, live wood it was attached to, so it would pop off when stressed.  But, I don't remember there being any advantage to it.  The stave WAS stiffer, but it still had drying to do, still tried to warp, etc...

That same year I did the experiment where I cut the tree DOWN, but left the whole top with leaves on.  I wanted to see if the foliage, plus the capillary action of the trunk would pull a lot of moisture from the wood and prevent drying issues.  It sort of did.   In just three or four days, that stave, with bark on, had lost a ton more weight than others cut top and bottom would have.  The bark was still easy to peel, and I peeled it, and left it whole.  It did warp, but didn't check, which it usually would have.  It wasn't any better than roughing out a stave to dry, though.

Offline Halcon rojo

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2018, 03:09:09 pm »
Great article. Thanks for posting the link. I’ve always wondered about how they worked with Osage. It’s such a hard wood. When I look at the Encyclopedia of Native American Bows I noticed that a fair number had evidence of pith in them indicating it was taken from a smaller diameter branch rather than the trunk. Fascinating read about the Great Basin peoples.
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.