Author Topic: Criticism welcome!  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Yellowstave

Criticism welcome!
« on: April 22, 2018, 09:46:54 am »
61.75 ntn. 57 lb at 28. 10 gpi arrow at 153 through chrony. This was the first bow that i made. I realize it not the greatest but im kinda proud of her. What do you gents think!!

Offline Yellowstave

Re: Criticism welcome!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 09:56:03 am »
There

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 10:00:17 am »
  Do you mean 10 grains per pound?  The bow looks nice. Too much bend in too short of an area but otherwise nice job. Try to distribute the bend over a longer area of the limb to avoid set.

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 10:07:53 am »
Yes my bad badger

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 10:23:29 am »
I like the look of your design  congrats ! The next will be faster !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 12:46:14 pm »
I like the look of your design  congrats ! The next will be faster !

Absolutely!  You got an even tiller, despite how most all of the bend is right out of the fades in the handle area.  Spread that bend over more of the limb and you gonna have a faster shooting bow.  153 fps from a 57 lb bow and a 10 grain per pound of draw weight is ok, certainly good enough to take game with....but I seriously think you have even better work coming out of your shop in the near future!  Looking forward to more of your posts!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 02:09:50 pm »
Outstanding execution. But the low speed has me wondering why,  because id say that bow should be faster. It even holds reflex, and doeant seem to take an undue amount of set, even though i agree, to much inner limb bend. Can we see a pic of the back of the bow? I want to see what its front profile looks like.

Btw, you bend way to much out the fade on that right limb. Heat treat that bend on the right limb to stiffen it, then maybe a few scrapes off the left limb to even the tiller out for ballance, and it should be fine.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 02:18:22 pm »
Outstanding execution. But the low speed has me wondering why,  because id say that bow should be faster. It even holds reflex, and doeant seem to take an undue amount of set, even though i agree, to much inner limb bend. Can we see a pic of the back of the bow? I want to see what its front profile looks like.

Btw, you bend way to much out the fade on that right limb. Heat treat that bend on the right limb to stiffen it, then maybe a few scrapes off the left limb to even the tiller out for ballance, and it should be fine.

Not real reflex though.  Tips still in front of the handle gets too much credit.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 02:21:30 pm »
Why? I dont understand the difference?

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 03:02:55 pm »
Because the working limb is tired.  Better to project the curve of the limb out to an imaginary point in the air below the  tips and use that as a true reference to limb condition.

The bow shoots about like a bow with 2-3 inches of set and that's about where the tips would lie.

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 03:10:10 pm »
Here you go sleek

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 03:31:57 pm »
PatM:  " Not real reflex though.  Tips still in front of the handle gets too much credit."

I agree.  I wouldn't say it isn't REAL reflex exactly, but by itself, it only helps a little, and can be detrimental.    Fresh and healthy working limbs, and good mass distribution are steps one and two. 

Yellowstave:  I think you did PHENOMENAL for a very first bow.   That's a challenging side profile to start with.

You've gotten a few tips for the future, and I'll add a little.    Your limb is overworked in the first 1/3 of its length.   With that design, which doesn't taper much side to side, the first 2/3 of the limb should be sharing more of the load.   Your outer 1/3 of each limb is barely bending at all, which means it could be much narrower to save weight at the tips.

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 04:24:41 pm »
That last paragraph is exactly why i wanted to see the front profile. You nailed it springbuck. Beautiful bow btw. But, go and narrow the crap out of those outter limbs, start in the middle or just after it, and you will pick up lots of speed. You could be in the 160s.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:33:42 pm by sleek »

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 04:29:31 pm »
Because the working limb is tired.  Better to project the curve of the limb out to an imaginary point in the air below the  tips and use that as a true reference to limb condition.

The bow shoots about like a bow with 2-3 inches of set and that's about where the tips would lie.

Makes sense. Thanks

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 04:58:55 pm »
Awesome. Thanks for the words guys