Author Topic: Criticism welcome!  (Read 2289 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: Criticism welcome!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 06:02:40 pm »
Wow, I wish my first bow looked that good! Keep building and posting and you'll be amazed how quickly you improve your craft.  ;)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 12:30:47 am »
That is a pretty good bow for being the first.It is working way too much on the inner limbs like said though.Their worn out.My first shot about the same comparison speed.I'm sure you'll know what to do better next time by the looks of your first bow.Have fun.Post pics and stay in the mix.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Limbit

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 02:59:02 am »
It looks to me like your handle could also be smaller. This would allow for more limb to spread out the bend. You don't need much handle. When I first started making bows, I did the same thing. I made these really long handles until it occurred to me suddenly that as that part of the limb wasn't bending, it was just subtracting from my bow. I was following the general lengths you'd expect for a self bow (around 65'' for me), but I wasn't calculating the length of my non-bending handle into that calculation. So, there wasn't enough bendable limb going on. My limbs were overworking.  I kept wondering why my bows were taking too much set when I was so careful during tillering. This was why.

Yellarwoodfellar

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 09:16:40 am »
First bow? I wouldn't change anything. But there are some great points for the NEXT bow. Lol I have shot that bow and it's pretty darn smooth. I say it's a victory brother

Yellarwoodfellar

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 09:18:13 am »
Three yr old bow with hundreds of arras thru it. Minimal set very smooth and PLENTY FAST

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 09:33:39 am »
Great work on your 1st bow.  That's a tough design and impressive that you pulled it off on your 1st one. 
I'm assuming it's osage?? or did I miss the material description? 

Offline gfugal

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 10:32:46 am »
It looks to me like your handle could also be smaller. This would allow for more limb to spread out the bend. You don't need much handle. When I first started making bows, I did the same thing. I made these really long handles until it occurred to me suddenly that as that part of the limb wasn't bending, it was just subtracting from my bow. I was following the general lengths you'd expect for a self bow (around 65'' for me), but I wasn't calculating the length of my non-bending handle into that calculation. So, there wasn't enough bendable limb going on. My limbs were overworking.  I kept wondering why my bows were taking too much set when I was so careful during tillering. This was why.
+1. More handle equals less working limb. I would also add that I don't necessarily even like the look of long handles. I have big hands yet I don't like grips longer than 4", and personally don't see the need for one's longer than that unless you're doing a serious arrow self, yet I don't particularly like those either. But if you do like arrow shelves and long handles, all power to you, as that's your preference and should be allowed to build the bows you like. Just factor in how much longer your working limb will have to be if you do so.

I think you did a great job regardless of whether it's your first bow or not. There could be more of the limb working, but that's an error I make all the time too. It's bending even and is sleek looking, and no doubt a good shooter. 
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 11:46:33 am »
Bayou ben. Yes its osage. Thats all ive succesfully worked thus far in my bowyers journey. I tried a black locust with no luck and a mulberry that failed. Ive made a few others that are faster  with better tiller but ive given them away and lost the pics on my other phone that got shattered by my skidsteer...oops. Anyhoo thanks to all for the comments.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 12:10:41 pm »
I think you got some good suggestions for your next one. I agree it's a very nice first bow. Look forward to seeing more. To bad about your phone. Man I'd really hate to lose mine I've got so much stuff on it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 04:58:07 pm »
" I tried a black locust with no luck and a mulberry that failed."

That's so funny, because those are literally my two favorite woods.  But, that's probably because all my osage ever was bought or acquired second hand.   Keep it up!