Author Topic: Siyah width  (Read 10302 times)

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

Re: Siyah width
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 01:19:53 pm »
Where the limb meets the siyah you can taper the limb quite a bit, along the splice narrow the width so by the time the limb ends it blends seamlessly into the siyah.

Offline DC

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2017, 01:47:01 pm »
Back at this again. Building new stairs up to the deck got in the way :D.
More questions. At "a" the limb is .4" thick. At "b" it's .6" thick. How much do you think I can thin out around "b" and still keep it from bending? The point of the "v" joint is about 2" to the right of "a". Urufu, in your last post you said I can thin the taper, should it blend smoothly at "c", like remove those shoulders completely?

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2018, 02:28:53 pm »
Back to the drag racing days comment, you could probably succeed in drilling holes to lighten the Siyahs by lining the holes with thin wall aluminum tubing. It would be a little less traditional , but it would help in lightening  towards the end of the limbs. The thin wall aluminum would allow structure to prevent breakage, I would imagine.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2018, 03:53:36 pm »
  Simson:  "DC, why are you doing siyahs?  You can easily steam in that statics! Even steeper angles and tighter curves are possible with a natural stave."

I don't know why HE'S doing siyahs, but when I did them it was either to stretch my wood budget by using something too short otherwise, OR, just to see if I could do it that way.   I did recurves THIS way, let's see if I can do it this OTHER way. 

PatM is all over this.  A triangle cross section is about 88% as stiff and strong as a square cross section the same biggest dimension, but something like 40% lighter.

I even make Mollie levers either a pretty skinny trapezoid or Gothic arch cross section.

Offline PatM

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2018, 04:16:06 pm »
It's also virtually the only way to make a really sharp static  with a wood like Ipe.   Just added short sharp statics to an Ipe flight bow using this method.

Offline Julian

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2018, 11:36:22 pm »
  Simson:  "DC, why are you doing siyahs?  You can easily steam in that statics! Even steeper angles and tighter curves are possible with a natural stave."

I don't know why HE'S doing siyahs, but when I did them it was either to stretch my wood budget by using something too short otherwise, OR, just to see if I could do it that way.   I did recurves THIS way, let's see if I can do it this OTHER way. 

PatM is all over this.  A triangle cross section is about 88% as stiff and strong as a square cross section the same biggest dimension, but something like 40% lighter.

I even make Mollie levers either a pretty skinny trapezoid or Gothic arch cross section.

Tangential, but I'm planning to thin my molle levers into a an arch cross section as well. Wish I had a chronograph so I could see what kind of difference it might make.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 06:13:23 am »
Anyone remember David Brunetta's Skeletip bow? One of the prettiest flight bows I ever saw, no siyahs but it had some holes in the outers:

Offline Julian

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2018, 06:17:31 am »
Wow that's a stunner. Wonder if you could do something like that on a mollie. Probably not.

Offline PatM

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2018, 06:50:49 am »
Those are siyahs on the ends, lust really low angle and sandwiched in.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2018, 12:18:19 pm »
Anyone remember David Brunetta's Skeletip bow? One of the prettiest flight bows I ever saw, no siyahs but it had some holes in the outers:

WOW!! just WOW
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.