Author Topic: ALL OPINIONS WANTED.  (Read 3120 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: ALL OPINIONS WANTED.
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 09:15:22 am »
I'm kinda thinking Pearl might be right. It does seem like it maybe rocking in the handle. How does it feel? It looks pretty darn good but I can't see how it feels.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 10:08:38 am »
Well i have to agree with pearly also. I totally missed that spot. Btw bjrogg, ir feels very nice to shoot. Its as acurate as any bow ive shot. But i do see the stiff spot after pearly pounted it out. Ill remedy that today.

Offline Yellowstave

Re: ALL OPINIONS WANTED. Update.
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 12:02:51 pm »
I shaved a little more where you said Pearly. Hows that look to yall now. I hit 170 with a 500 grain arrow.

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 12:22:07 pm »
QUESTION: If i pike 2 inches to make it 66inches and retiller, would i gain speed. Not that i will, im pretty happy with it right now. Im just curious. My thought is ill be removing alot of weight that is not really doing much. Am i wrong guys. If thats the case my next one is going to be in that range.

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 12:27:58 pm »
You would think so but Badger is discovering that shorter usually means more set and that kills cast. You might find that piking gains you little or nothing and possibly shortens the life of the bow. I'm undecided about this. I suppose if you can reduce the length without taking set that it would be better.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 01:59:12 pm »
Looks good leave it like it is. Just an opinion . Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline simk

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2018, 02:04:46 pm »
+1 Arvin & enjoy this nice bending bow!
--- the queen rules ----

Offline PatM

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2018, 02:14:41 pm »
Yes, you will gain speed by piking it.

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 02:20:48 pm »
PatM. How much speed theoretically would you think i would gain with a 2 inch pikejob?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2018, 03:09:29 pm »
I like it. I would leave it be. I built my first 50-75 bows that were longer. Then as I got more confident i started to shorten them more and more. Fast forward ahead a few hundred various bows and I now build my own osage flat bows 65-67" ntn and I like 50 @ 28.   

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 07:29:39 am »
Each of the limbs has a different entry point into the handle which makes tillering just a little difficult. Nicely done. I'd leave it.

I've never been a fan of piking a tillered bow.

You'll gain weight (approximately 5# for each inch removed from both limbs; 2 inch total) but more set. IMHO.

Jawge
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 07:54:21 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 07:46:37 am »
Yes George is spot on about entry point into handle being different making it more difficult.Only way to even that up prior to tillering is with heat.Then tillering will be easier.In other words balancing limbs prior to tillering.
Modify post....Without balancing if that entry point is quite different it can lead to more material taken from one limb than another to get a good tiller.What happens then is one limb can take more set than another over time.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:19:46 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 08:10:51 am »
Sometimes the hardest lesson to learn to making bows is  quit while you're ahead. I'd leave it

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 09:03:42 am »
Each of the limbs has a different entry point into the handle which makes tillering just a little difficult. Nicely done. I'd leave it.

I've never been a fan of piking a tillered bow.

You'll gain weight (approximately 5# for each inch removed from both limbs; 2 inch total) but more set. IMHO.

Jawge
Absolutely +1
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 09:05:43 am »
Looks good, especially after you worked on the left limb.  As others suggest, I would say leave it as is.  A razor sharp broadhead on a perfectly tuned arrow will do more for you than attempting to pike the bow.  Besides, it'll give you an excuse to make another bow!
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."