Author Topic: Hickory backing thickness?  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Aaron curtis

Hickory backing thickness?
« on: May 02, 2018, 08:10:15 pm »
I am considering making my nephew a longbow and was thinking of dong an IPE w/ hickory backing.   I am hoping for a bow with a 12-14# draw.  I have made a few bows but I am definitely not an expert on the subject.  Maybe this combo is a poor choice for a kids bow?  I have heard good things about IPE an hickory but I haven’t heard of anyone using that combo for a kids bow.  But I don’t hear much about kids bows for that matter either.  If the combo would work fine what thickness should the hickory be.  I am guessing it’s probabky going to be pretty thin.   I don’t own a planer.  Can I just rip the boards into the appropriate thickeness and then glue them together?  I know using a planer is the correct method but just wondered if failing to plane them perfectly will cause safety issues. Minor cosmetic issues isn’t a major concern but I do want it to be safe .
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 08:23:47 pm by Aaron curtis »

Offline Hamish

Re: Hickory backing thickness?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 08:51:43 pm »
Rip the backings around 3/16" thick. What sort of saw are you going to use? With a table saw you have to be mindful about the backing falling between the blade and the saw plate if it doesn't have a zero clearance insert. Saw on the outside of the blade(not between the blade and the fence where the thin backing can get trapped. Use a push stick.   Or you could use a bandsaw, which is safer but a bit more difficult to tune to get an even cut.
 I would sand both saw surfaces to get rid of any burn marks(if you didn't up a rip blade),80 up to 120grit.
Glue you could use Titebond 3 or a good epoxy.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 10:44:35 pm »
Yup.  I have even smoothed lams with coarse paper glued to a board after the saw, but the narrower they are the harder that is.  You aren't going to need much of either wood for a bow that light. 

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 04:28:38 am »
You don't need much hickory, somewhere between 1/16 to 1/8", but it should be flat and its surface properly prepped for the glue to be used... same goes for the ipe. I've made bows in the 60# range with 1/16" thick hickory backing.

I have a planer but never use it for backings. I cut them out on the bandsaw with a resaw fence then run them through the thickness sander to thin and flatten them. Careful hand sanding as mentioned above may give you similar results.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 06:02:49 am »
I am considering making my nephew a longbow and was thinking of dong an IPE w/ hickory backing.   I am hoping for a bow with a 12-14# draw.  I have made a few bows but I am definitely not an expert on the subject.  Maybe this combo is a poor choice for a kids bow?  I have heard good things about IPE an hickory but I haven’t heard of anyone using that combo for a kids bow.  But I don’t hear much about kids bows for that matter either.  If the combo would work fine what thickness should the hickory be.  I am guessing it’s probabky going to be pretty thin.   I don’t own a planer.  Can I just rip the boards into the appropriate thickeness and then glue them together?  I know using a planer is the correct method but just wondered if failing to plane them perfectly will cause safety issues. Minor cosmetic issues isn’t a major concern but I do want it to be safe .

Wow, 14# out of a Hickory backed Ipe?  Good luck with that.  You'll have to make you're backing no more than 1/16" thick, even then you won't have much Ipe left
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 06:09:26 am »
I agree with Marc. If all you want is a 14# child's bow I would just use a hickory board. Trying to make a backed bow at 14# would be very difficult.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron curtis

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 08:15:37 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I kinda wondered about the wood choices for a bow of that poundage.   I am gonna give it a go and see what I end up with and will just keep it for one of my boys down the road when they get bigger.    The more reading I did the more I realized it probably wasn’t gonna be possible. Oh well.  I can make him a hickory bow instead.