Author Topic: Sinew & Bow length  (Read 5179 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Sinew & Bow length
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2018, 08:32:01 pm »
The Birch bow was 62" long and it's performance was excellent.  I have thought of cutting 2" off each tip of that BL bow and re-tillering it down to a more acceptable draw weight
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2018, 02:46:54 am »
Yep your right birch bow volume 20 bow thought it was maple sorry !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2018, 03:57:23 am »
Im going to build the bow & find out the self bow in the the pic was the fastest bow I had ever made with fresh numbers well into the 180s 10 gpp & was shooting 12 gpp arrows well ,but the bow was to heavy draw for the design and eventualy broke down so here are my thoughts I could go hickory/sinew or a very narrow osage 65 ntn slight recurve 18-19 in. working limb the hickory would be the lighter mass but better compression strength on the osage, I have pristien staves in ethere well cured ?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2018, 10:54:36 am »
It's nice to have some good old hickory around ready.Personally I can't remember ever sinewing an osage.Never really figured it needed it.At least in my world of types of bows.
Hickory on the other hand I think can benefit from sinew with the right design.Just plain heat treating hickory most times is enough for me too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2018, 03:10:21 pm »
Hickory/sinew is a great combo my other hickory/sinew after it was cured for a year has never changed it shoots the same and consistent , even though hickory is not a great rated compression wood it works great in the last couple of backed bows I have made using it as a core wood !

Offline willie

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2018, 10:42:24 am »
It's nice to have some good old hickory around ready.Personally I can't remember ever sinewing an osage.Never really figured it needed it.At least in my world of types of bows.
Hickory on the other hand I think can benefit from sinew with the right design.Just plain heat treating hickory most times is enough for me too.

and apparently even a lighter birch can benefit from an application of sinew? a wood not known for its elasticity. maybe anything can benefit from sinew with the correct design?