Author Topic: Alone again.  (Read 107451 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Alone again.
« Reply #435 on: August 20, 2021, 12:12:04 am »
CLAY WON!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #436 on: August 20, 2021, 12:35:35 am »
I saw that and he looked to be pretty healthy...physically. I understand his separation anxiety about his family especially after 70 whatever days. Those bunnies saved him. I'm surprised Biko made it as far as he did. He seemed pretty clumsy for that situation.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #437 on: August 20, 2021, 08:09:55 am »
Yep Clay done good, glad he won but was rooting for the gal.  :) he was tough and strong mentally.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JEB

« Reply #438 on: August 20, 2021, 09:04:15 am »
Who is Clay Hayes? Everyone seems to know him. I never heard of him.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #439 on: August 20, 2021, 09:42:18 am »
Clay is one of the better selfbowyers, he has been in the game a long time. He has a youtube channel where he shows every aspect of bow building and hunting with his osage bow. He also teaches hands on one on one bow building classes and provides materials, lodging, food and a week of instruction to his students.

He cashed in his career as a wildlife biologist to live a backwoods life and be a fulltime family man, his kids are the luckiest kids on the planet to be part of his adventures. He is very good at what he does and puts out a new video about weekly.

Look up "Clay Hayes" on youtube.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 09:48:12 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #440 on: August 20, 2021, 11:58:52 am »
Clay is a part of what got me into bow making!!! if i didnt watch his channel to learn how to build my first board bow, i wouldnt be here!!!  Im glad he won!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #441 on: August 20, 2021, 12:09:45 pm »
Jon you really need to look up Clay. I don’t watch much YouTube anymore but when I first started making selfbows and especially hunting with them he was definitely a favorite to watch.

Really a down to earth guy that seems to share a lot of the same passions in life as I do.

A really good representative for our sport

Bjrogg

PS Congratulations to Clay. May he share many great adventures with his family for many many years to come
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #442 on: August 20, 2021, 04:45:48 pm »
Congrats to all three. That was a very bad location for the show. There wasn't many BC skill on the show. I would like to see more of that than all the drama. Teresa is one tough nut. If she got some meat and fish, she would have won. Bilko needed to win, with 2 kids on the way and no work skills. He could have used the money. Hope someone helps him out when he gets back.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #443 on: August 21, 2021, 08:07:34 pm »
I say Bravo Biko Bravo.

Actually I think coming in second might have been a blessing for Biko. He should know he can do whatever it takes and be very appreciative of what he has.

I agree the last three had the determination to stay. Maybe possibly even more so than Clay. Although I think he was probably still pretty determined. I didn’t like the restrictions at this location. Seemed really odd.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #444 on: August 22, 2021, 04:22:55 pm »
I really think History Channel should take a deep look at their ethics and morals.

They intentionally put these people out there to starve and dangle a sack of cash over their heads for their continued self torture for entertainment.

Love the show but there should be some resources not protected by law.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #445 on: August 22, 2021, 11:14:49 pm »
Agree completely.Really didn't enjoy it as much this year and last, seemed last year they could do what every it took to get by as it should be on a challenge like that. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #446 on: August 23, 2021, 08:52:47 am »
I also agree.  I've also noticed that some contestants are dropped off in more "favorable" locations than others
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #447 on: August 23, 2021, 10:29:49 am »
I'd really like to see them change up the scenery like on Naked and Afraid.   Tropical island would be fun, maybe parts of Africa, but I'd really like to see a season done in my home turf of the desert southwest.  It would be interesting to see what 10 items people bring to different locations and how they utilize different resources.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #448 on: August 23, 2021, 02:40:03 pm »
I'm really glad Clay won.  I figured he had it from the beginning, when everyone else was all upset and traumatized by the bears, but he sees a lion and thinks it's just awesome, then tracks a griz to try and get some good video, and laughs about it when he gets charged.   (lol)  That made me happy.

Teresa had great skills, especially her house-building and food gathering, but just couldn't get lucky with the fish.  I give Biko full points for great attitude and sand, but he just didn't have the skills.  (I'm not judging--I wouldn't have the skills either)  The only reason he lasted so long is he had the most fat to burn.

Clay just seemed comfortable in the wilderness in a way that most of the others didn't.  I think that if the hunting had been a bit better and his family could have joined him, he'd have been content to stay there all winter.

I completely agree that this was a really stupid location.  I got kind of mad when Clay said he wasn't allowed to kill that fisher that almost ruined everything for him.  What the heck?  If you're going to put people in a survival situation where they have to rely on their skills to stay warm and fed, for crying out loud put them in a place where they can kill game animals and fur-bearers!  The arctic season was a lot more enjoyable, and it seems to have come down a lot more to skills (and a bit of luck).  This season it was just who could starve the longest.  Kind of depressing.

Did you guys check out Clay's vid of his homecoming?  Kind of a tear-jerker.  Dang forest fire smoke...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #449 on: August 31, 2021, 06:30:11 am »
Just ended watching the season
overall a good entertainment with some remark
As other noted in this season there were too many situations where hunting or fishing limitations were evident and strident with the spirit of the challenge.
Also while big predators sure rise the level of the show, they are a little too big random and unfair element in a contest in my opinion.
Should you stumble in an aggressive bear in your first days you would have no chance to safely deal with it.
For this reason I dont like too much the idea of very dense bears populated area (not to speak of naked and afraid africa locations)-
Dont get me wrong, I dont say they should be deployed in a city park. I wont select on purpose heavy populated grizzly bears areas.

Another thing I'd really like is to see more of the footage discarded in the video editing. I bet other would love it, Even pretty boring stuff could be interesting and shed light on the participant character.
And in a digital era this could be very easy to do and maybe even profitable for history channel

just a curiosity. there are scenes with a man moving in the woods with a rifle. do you know what was about? 

Apparently history channel is accepting applications for season 9 so more to come.  :OK