Author Topic: idiots guide to gelatin glue please  (Read 970 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
idiots guide to gelatin glue please
« on: June 28, 2018, 06:14:14 am »
Morning!
I've bought some (pork) gelatin sheets.  I know I need to soak them in cold water, but then what?  30% dilution is a figure I've seen quoted, but what does that mean?  Do I weigh the soaked sheets and then add them to twice that weight of warm water? I will be glueing horn nocks into v-splices in yew, then binding with sinew then backing with sinew. I'm thinking of 1 layer in the outer limbs, 2 on the centre 1/3)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: idiots guide to gelatin glue please
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 06:31:38 am »
I've never worked with sheet gelatin but you want your "glue" to be the consistency of syrup when ready to use.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 07:26:02 am »
Spent close to 30 years in professional kitchens. Some say leaf (sheet gelatin) is more pure. It's all denatured animal protein. 1 oz powdered gelatin = 3 sheets of leaf gelatin. Just look for the same consistency as Pat said. Hope this helps.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 07:32:04 am »
Sorry, should be 1 tablespoon = 3 sheets not 1 oz. 1 tablespoon is actually .25 oz. Sorry for the mistake on last post.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 01:06:51 pm »
No apology necessary, that's the info I need right there! Thanks guys