Author Topic: question on backing bow with feathers  (Read 2504 times)

Offline ntvbowyer1969

question on backing bow with feathers
« on: July 30, 2018, 03:44:14 pm »
Hello everyone. I remember seeing a bow backed with feathers on here. I was wondering if anyone remembers who it was and how the were glued and how they were sealed? I was thinking like poured on epoxy might work. I dont see normal clear coats working well at all.thx in advance

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: question on backing bow with feathers
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 04:01:03 pm »
Dbar would be the bowyer. Beautiful
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 04:50:39 pm »
Paging Mr. Danznbar!  He is the feather backing expert. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 04:59:16 pm »
ntvbowyer1969
Here is a thread that I did a short build along....take a look at it, if you have any questions just holler...
DBar

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,61118.msg853833.html#msg853833
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 07:48:22 pm »
Thx Dbar will check it out.

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 07:56:16 pm »
Hello Dbar. i seen the part where you talk about using a wet finger. is this to smooth out the feathers and work out the air bubbles? also is there only two actual coats of flex seal on the bow? thx.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 05:52:50 am »
Yes, Only once the feathers get real tacky, use the wet finger to make sure that the edges are staying down and that there are not any air bubbles.
Yes, one to set the feathers in and one other final coating. Warning make sure before the final coating you have a place to set the bow so it can be rotated from back and forth from belly to back on top.  The bow will need to be flipped every 10 minuutes so the final finish doesn't run off the sides.  Flexcoat has about a 2 hour tack time. 24 hour cure time.  I only use the flex coat on the back of the bow.  Ture Oil looks good with it over the rest of the bow once the Flex coat is dry.
Hope this helps,
DBar

Offline Morgan

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 08:14:41 am »
Dbar, could you post a pic of the flex coat product you use. I did a search and found multiple different products all geared toward rod and lure building but with different purposes.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 11:19:21 am »
Morgan,
I use to build custom fishing rods and it is the same coating I used for them.  Make sure you buy the FlexCoat "Lite" it is thinner than the original and works better with the feathers.

This epoxy blend is not as hard as most epoxies so it doesn't crack when bent.  Just make sure you use the same stuff to set the feathers in.  I once tried to use a softer "glue" like material to set the feathers, then used the FlexCoat over that.  Big no no never put a harder finish over a softer one.  The finish on that bow cracked the first time I pulled it back.

Good luck,  I got some quail feathers I want to try some time.
Till next time '
DBar

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 07:22:52 pm »
thx again Dbar.so every little bit turn to face back towards the bench. the flip it and face back to the ceiling. then flip and repeat for two hrs? thx

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 06:29:42 am »
Yep, every ten minutes I flip the bow.  I'm usually doing something else at the time like working on fletching arrows or something like that.
Good luck, show us the results.
DBar

Offline ntvbowyer1969

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 11:30:03 am »
Sorry for bugging you again Dbar. I was wondering what size of containers did you purchase for this project? I wanted to make sure before i buy it. Some of the containers didnt list the size and amount in bottles. I thought maybe if i did the search with the oz in the containers i would be sure i have enough. thx again signed pain in the butt.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 11:20:08 am »
Sorry for the delayed response.....4oz of the resin and 4oz of the hardener, that will do two bows easy.
DBar