Author Topic: Laminated bow making  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Pinewood Archer

• I'm just me,nothing special.
Laminated bow making
« on: July 15, 2018, 10:28:20 pm »
Alright folks,let me start out by saying that I'm totally new to this and I don't have much of a clue (though I have roughly 8 yrs of wood working experience if that helps). I'm planning on making a laminated Algonquin war bow hopefully out of Hickory and Eastern Red Cedar alternating between 1/4 in. strips of hickory and 1/8 in. strips of cedar for the grip,if I can get away with it I would like to use cedar as the core of the limbs and hickory for the limb backing.
I would greatly appreciate any pointers as far as my material selection,glue/epoxy etc.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:37:47 pm by Pinewood Archer »
Quality is not an act,it is a habit.~Aristotle
By a Carpenter mankind was made,and only by that Carpenter can mankind be remade.~Desiderius Erasmus

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Laminated bow making
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 01:33:42 am »
If you are totally new, I'd suggest making something very simple first just to run through the process.
As few glue lines as possible... maybe even zero for your first
"No glue" is very quick drying, cheap and available everywhere ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 03:13:14 am »
Del is offering you pretty good advice not saying it couldnt be done but any time you laminate somthing its only as good as the preparation, form, glue clamp presure , flat clean surfaces etc.  there is a bit of a learning curve in wood working to do it , Im assuming you dont have a lot of wood working equipment yet , but Bubby & George has a board build along on here that might be in your wheel house ! Easier for the first !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pinewood Archer

• I'm just me,nothing special.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 10:47:40 am »
Del you're right,a more simple project like a D-shaped longbow is definitely a smarter start. And Stick Bender you are also correct in assuming I don't have a lot of wood working equipment yet,though I do have some hand planes,one of which is meant for planing corners and has some concave blades.
Quality is not an act,it is a habit.~Aristotle
By a Carpenter mankind was made,and only by that Carpenter can mankind be remade.~Desiderius Erasmus