Author Topic: I've gone and done it now...it worked =)  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
Re: I've gone and done it now...it worked =)
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 02:48:30 pm »
hey thanks for the comments guys.

kbear- me too, haha thought I should give back a little, maybe some nicer photos next time.

bjrogg - Haha I learnt that if I am overly impatient and screw it up I can always fix it later  ;) thanks, I'll  let y'all know when I get myself some tucker with her.

burchett.donald - thanks!

jareddchazen - I've never played with ash, not a heap of it down this way, the shorties are fun!

hoosierf - haha yeah bro, she's a sweet to shoot alright

Hamish - thanks mate, you know how it is figuring out these south pacific woods, I am pretty sure that there are kunzea species growing in the southern areas of Aus too.

Upstate & Badger - cheers, that means a lot coming from the likes of you guys.

Simson - thanks, from the king of sweet bends haha. the species name is Kunzea ericoides. Endemic to NZ, but part of the myrtle family which is a massive group of tropical to subtropical trees around the pacific, includes the likes of guava, eucalyptus, clove and allspice.
It was used by Maori for pretty much anything that required a resonably tough wood like agricultural tools (digging sticks etc) and for weapons which in NZ were often man long spears or quarter staff type weapons. all the other woods that are denser or stronger are also far less common so it makes sense that kanuka was used so often.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: I've gone and done it now...it worked =)
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 03:59:47 am »

Simson - thanks, from the king of sweet bends haha. the species name is Kunzea ericoides. Endemic to NZ, but part of the myrtle family which is a massive group of tropical to subtropical trees around the pacific, includes the likes of guava, eucalyptus, clove and allspice.
It was used by Maori for pretty much anything that required a resonably tough wood like agricultural tools (digging sticks etc) and for weapons which in NZ were often man long spears or quarter staff type weapons. all the other woods that are denser or stronger are also far less common so it makes sense that kanuka was used so often.

Oh man, don't call me king of anything!
Kunzea, I never heard from that species, but it looks really nice and seems to be a good bowwood.
Thanks for your answer!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany